Any campers?

rodger.

23 hours ago, mat60 said:

Now thats camping.  I hope to get something about this size for the wife and I. Nice scooter sir.:)

Funny story about that scooter, we went to the RV show and she won that as a door prize, the camper is a Sonic by Venture, we also saw this at the show and fell in love with, the design is perfect for my wife and Me, It comes pretty much fully loaded. it has a Murphy bed queen size, and when it fold up a love seat open up, giving us more room during the day, the bathroom is large. full size shower, vanity closet and commode  check the link, another thing is it is full fiberglass construction,  https://www.venture-rv.com/sonic-travel-trailers/SN190VRB.html

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 6:30 PM, Chet K said:

You guys are fortunate in ways.  In the Sierra back country here in California everything you do on a backpacking trip revolves around keeping your stuff out of the bears possession.  It is now a federal regulation in most parts of the Sierras that you use a bear canister to store food stuffs and anything else the bears can sniff out.  Even things that you don't think they can smell like freeze dried food, ramen, bug juice and your unscented what ever.  Get caught not caring a bear canister and it is a pretty steep fine and the tell you the get out of the forest now.

In the camp grounds in the parks they have bear boxes that are about 36 Deep X 24 High X 42 Wide made out of 1/4 plate steel and require an apposable thumb to open.  Everything has to be stored in there ice chests, toiletries, baby wipes, all that smelly stuff.

The North East is like that too.  While the Black bears won't mess you up as bad as a grizzly or other western bear, they still aren't anything to fool around with.     I've always gone with the bear bag approach, toss a rope over a tree and haul the pack up there, hanging far enough out so nothing can get to it.    I've seen what a bear will do to a campsite overnight that wasn't properly tightened done.   I've also seen what a pack of crazy hungry chipmunks can do to an unattended pack with an open granola bar in it.    There was a reason we called them mini bears. 

29 minutes ago, Marmotjr said:

toss a rope over a tree and haul the pack up there, hanging far enough out so nothing can get to it

You can't do this in the Sierras any more for the exact reason Steve mentions above.  The bears are too smart for that technique, we have educated them too well.  There has been many cases were they figured out where the rope is tied off at and they gnaw through it to get the bag to drop or like Steve said, they go on the branch and get it to break.

18 hours ago, ncfowler said:

Its cool some of you like to hike, sleep in a tent or tree.  Its not something myself and wife would do. Its a lot of fun for some as they get older to have a rv and get away from home for the weekend. I dont think it makes it wrong.

It's not wrong, of course, but it is a completely different experience than walking miles into the wilderness for five days with only the gear on your back to get you through.  There's a level of engagement with nature that you experience when backpacking that you simply cannot achieve any other way.  Different strokes for different folks, but I personally find no equal to truly roughing it deep in the backcountry in terms of freedom and connection with the Earth.  Long distance canoe trips are second best and require far less effort than multi-day backpacking trips.  Both have their time and place.

• Like 1

Our family actually "camps" both ways.  We have a trailer that we use when the entire family is going and we tend to stay in a camp ground that has a lot of things around it to do.  During hunting season however, it's "real" camping.  Wall tents and wood stoves because it's most likely snowing outside.

Either way is fine.  They are not the same in any way, shape, or form.

• Like 1

Some camp areas furnish steel cable hangers for bear-proofing.  My idea of roughing it is a motel with a B&W TV.  We used Seam Sealer from Wally world on our old canvas tent.

We camped for many years in a tent.  The first one was canvas with the woven poly floor.  I woke up one morning and was in about an inch of water.  Junked it after we dried out the sleeping bags.  Went to town and bought a new one.

I agree that we tend to go overboard with all the things we don't need.  I get tickled at the commercial of campers with the generator.  If you need electricity, stay home.  Old time Westerners could get by with a Winchester rifle, skinning knife and a bag of salt.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bankstick said:

I get tickled at the commercial of campers with the generator.  If you need electricity, stay home. 

Well.         During a storm at a camp site sometimes you do need a generator if the power goes out so you can enjoy the day inside. I enjoy my tv, stove, cold beer and air cond.:)

mat60, we used LP gas or battery power.  We never used electricity at a campsite so the weather could do whatever it wanted.  We devised a setup where we had a screen cover over the picnic table and a large tarp to cover the tent and the screen cover.  This way we could put astroturf on the ground to have a dry place while it rained.  We did have a power inverter for the truck to recharge batteries when needed.  I am cheap- so cheap that my picture is next to the word in the dictionary!

My parents had three motor homes in their lifetime.  They were a waste of $$$, IMHO.  For what the monthly payment was for the last one, they could have stayed in 5 Star hotels with room service.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:09 PM, Bankstick said:

My idea of roughing it is a motel with a B&W TV.  

WOW! B&W? No cable? That is really roughing it! My wife grew up in So Cal and as a kid went to every national park out west. FIL got 4+ weeks vacation so they dragged along a small camper. Now her idea of roughing it is when the ice machine is broken.

Although I was USAF I spent many nights ''camping'' overseas.