Popular Woodworking Magazine :(

Marcus Hand

3 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine.  The NRA still sends me one every month, but I haven't looked past the cover in years.  There just really isn't anything I need from a magazine any more.  Hell, I even installed a USB charging outlet by the john when I remodeled my bathroom.  Takes up a lot less space than a magazine rack full of 2 year old magazines nobody reads. 

Obviously you're still young. Try using your USB when you run out of Charmin?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xxdabroxx said:

I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine.  The NRA still sends me one every month, but I haven't looked past the cover in years.  There just really isn't anything I need from a magazine any more.  Hell, I even installed a USB charging outlet by the john when I remodeled my bathroom.  Takes up a lot less space than a magazine rack full of 2 year old magazines nobody reads. 

I'm a 60 year old geek. Love technology. I read all the time but it's usually on my iPad. Very convenient. That said, I still get the hard copy of FWW because I like the photography which really doesn't render as well digitally. 

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Obviously you're still young. Try using your USB when you run out of Charmin?

It's within reach too.  LOL  Has a nice spot on the bottom shelf of the vanity. 

11 hours ago, prov163 said:

I'm a 60 year old geek. Love technology. I read all the time but it's usually on my iPad. Very convenient. That said, I still get the hard copy of FWW because I like the photography which really doesn't render as well digitally. 

Can't argue with that, there is something nice about looking at something on paper.  I'm a draftsman and I plot stuff out all the time.  It's just easier to see stuff on paper. 

18 hours ago, prov163 said:

Yeah, Eric, that's the one.  Just curious as to what the new kid on the block had to offer that might be worth a look.  I looked on their website just now and at $24 per mag, it better be good :)  I do like one of their stickers - it says "We plane, We saw, We conquer."  

I thought it was very interesting, but if interviews, history, and historical techniques don't appeal to you then it won't tickle your fancy.  There aren't any Makita reviews or birdhouse plans.  The closest to a plan is the discussion on the techniques used to recreate a table, but it doesn't have a cutlist or the like. 

The table of contents is here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1087/8400/files/MTIssOneTOC.pdf?11372004107793611496

The only review in there is for Schwarz's workbench book, which felt out of place to me, but maybe just because I've already owned it for so long.  I guess I just saw the review there and felt like of the audience of the magazine, everyone would already have it or an equivalent book, and either a workbench or no desire to have one. 

After 5 years, I didn't renew my subscription to PWW when it just ended. I also get FWW an will continue. I go back to the first issue of FWW, although I've missed some issues. What finally did in PWW for me was, in one year, they reprinted almost to the word, an article by CS. It was either on the plastic wood steamer, of a sprayer. I'm not going to dig through them to find it. But, it was within the past year. I enjoyed reading it most of the time, and they did have some useful articles, but. It started to feel like they were just trying to fill the pages. Ya, all 56 pages!

• Like 1

Speaking as a novice, I subscribe to Fine Wood Working and Woodsmith Magazine. I see them as a little jolt of inspiration that shows up every so often. For now they are fun and they give me some new ideas, whether in the main articles or project showcases. I could see myself burning out on them eventually - That has happened with many of my professional magazines, which I cruise through but only read deeply when something really catches my attention.

Its also a place to learn some more lingo and names, I'm not at the point of name dropping many famous woodworkers and projects yet. I'm continually impressed by the way members here know so many specific projects and woodworkers, the way most people know bands and songs. I get it, it is very cool, I'm just still impressed by it.