High Time for the Humidor

Phinnegan

Glued up the box yesterday,mostly according to plan, my sides were still cupped a bit from the years of storage (alas), but the clamping more or less straightened everything up.

20160901_123748.jpg

20160901_122719.jpg

Horizontal trim overnight (tiny bit of tear out in the maple despite tape, i'm sure I'll make sure to point that out to everyone who sees it for the usual masochistic reasons).  Submitting this thing to the dado blade is a little cringe-y, but again, basically a success.

20160901_202308.jpg

I've never used so much blue tape outside of painting in my life.

20160902_141810.jpg

Vertical trim today, gluing up, so far so good.  Dreading cutting this thing in half.

20160902_144227.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HunterL said:

Looking great! I had a hell of a time with the finishing of mine, good luck! 

Yea, not really the type of finish I've done before. Any tips? 

Plan right now is rattle can zinsser shellac to seal, pore fill per the guide with the timber mate, and then since I have the better part of a gallon of GF high performance, use that as a top coat as it seems people have had good look sanding/polishing that to a pretty high shine. 

Edit: found your thread, yours looks great, will be very careful with the sanding.  I'm sure it happens a lot, but was entertained to find your shop pictures to look almost exactly like mine equipment-wise, though I have the JET air cleaner instead of the rikon.  Great minds I guess.

A couple days ago I got the hinges mortised (used the template, as it was on sale with the hinges when I picked them up).  Some tear out in the walnut on one side of the hinge, but otherwise everything fits great, dug out the middle with the drill press with very little fuss.

20160905_182911.jpg20160905_182921.jpg

Sanded all around (my corner issues all but disappeared with the easing of the edges, which I'm pretty happy about). 

20160905_182948.jpg

1/8 roundover on top and sides and then sprayed inside and out with zinnser shellac, quick sanding, and on with the timbermate, thinned down this stuff goes on really easily, and sanded off just about as easily, soooo smooth to the touch now.

20160906_174856.jpg

20160906_192157.jpg

Decided to go with general finishes high performance semi-gloss, simply because I have a lot of it.  Seems to be going down very well (HVLP) over the past couple of days, doing a few coats then a quick sand, but it is going on very flat.  No pics, probably on coat number 6 or 7.

18 hours ago, Rick N said:

Looks really good! I did the same one with walnut burl Veneer and darker walnut trim. But mine did not finish as well as yours. Lots of imperfections. Your making me want to redo mine...

Haha, it looks pretty good in low resolution at least =) It has taught me to be more vigilant about tear-out, and less worked up about about smaller things that basically disappear when edges are broken and things are sanded.

For some reason the top veneer was a little wave-y (it was very obvious after doing the grain fill, as there were clear streaks of filler left, but I was leery about trying to sand it totally flat and burn through somewhere, so I cleared out most of the fill by hand), I'm hoping a built up enough finish that it will be able to more or less even out.

We'll see =).

• Like 1