Scratched base on DeWalt 735.

JNS1950

Well I just joined wood talk and just started wood working. I purchased DW735  and am pleased how it performed, then I tried salvaging some used lumber and thought I had checked for nails, etc. Missed one broken off below surface and scratched base plate. Question is can I sand off raised scratches and still retain accuracy for thickness and quality? I've tried to find anything on replacing the base cover listed as fig. 203 in parts schematics or price for it. They just list complete base with 203 which is pretty expensive, $160 - $220. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19 minutes ago, JNS1950 said:

Well I just joined wood talk and just started wood working. I purchased DW735  and am pleased how it performed, then I tried salvaging some used lumber and thought I had checked for nails, etc. Missed one broken off below surface and scratched base plate. Question is can I sand off raised scratches and still retain accuracy for thickness and quality? I've tried to find anything on replacing the base cover listed as fig. 203 in parts schematics or price for it. They just list complete base with 203 which is pretty expensive, $160 - $220. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you share a picture?  Photographs would describe how deep/wide the scratch is better than words. 

5 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

Can you share a picture?  Photographs would describe how deep/wide the scratch is better than words. 

I will try to get pics, i am old school and computer challenged. Posted question late last night, didn't expect replies this fast. Thanks.

3 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Sanding off scratches will not affect the accuracy or quality of the machine one bit. Good job the nail wasn't pointing the other way as you would have chipped a blade. Sand away and don't worry about it.

Thanks for the help, I'll try sanding lightly, haven't checked blades yet.

3 minutes ago, TIODS said:

If you do a search here, there was another member that had a similar issues with his 735 and the sanding worked well for him.

Checking/dealing with a burr as @davestanton suggests is a good idea as well!

Ok, I'm new at this so how do you search for certain topics? Excuse my lack of experience.

1. Don't worry about the scratch.  It doesn't effect performance and it's only the first of many.  You can't stop it so you may as well get over it.

2. Don't use "used" lumber.  That's called firewood.  Go to a hardwood dealer and buy "new" lumber.  That's what you build furniture with.

Just now, JNS1950 said:

Thanks, I think I am going to like this site a lot. Hope I can contribute in the future.

Stick around and join in the conversations..  You'll learn some, you'll contribute some..  Good group here that never hesitates to help and share.

12 minutes ago, Eric. said:

1. Don't worry about the scratch.  It doesn't effect performance and it's only the first of many.  You can't stop it so you may as well get over it.

2. Don't use "used" lumber.  That's called firewood.  Go to a hardwood dealer and buy "new" lumber.  That's what you build furniture with.

Thanks to all for advise. Lesson learned, penny wise - pound foolish.

• Like 1

I have quite a few scratches on the bed of my 735. I put a big one in it shortly after i bought it. I took the burr off and hit the area with steel wool to polish it up. Don't forget to put some wax on the bed and infeed/outfeed tables if you have them. Welcome to the forums, i hope you find a way to post pictures and share your projects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JNS1950 said:

I did the same thing, first few times I use it and I miss nail/screw and scratched mine pretty good. Thanks for everyone's reply. Should be some way to check for buried metal in used lumber too good to burn.

Metal detector.

Yeah I'm not trying to sound like a wood snob (which I am...it's no secret), but I just find "used" lumber to be more trouble than it's worth.  One damaged knife on a jointer or planer and all the money you saved not buying "new" lumber in the first place is gone - poof - like a fart in the wind.  Not to mention the time you wasted.

And cherry on top...best case scenario for "used" lumber...it's filthy and has holes in it.  Worst case is it's filthy and it has chunks of metal in it.  Either way, not worth the cellulose it's made of.  IMHO.

• Like 1