Stitch & Glue Kayak Build

pkinneb

Spent most of the day doing leaf clean up but I did get a couple things done.

First up was a new smoker recipe bacon wrapped drumsticks with honey/BBQ glaze, have to say they were pretty tasty but hey when bacon's involved kinda hard to mess it up LOL

IMG_1487.JPG

While I was eating I had the heat lamp on the epoxy and thought this was a cool pic...

Kayak 61.JPG

Anyway so what I got done today...

The final hatch fillets are done

Kayak 63.JPG

Also got the hip braces fit and installed

Kayak 62.JPG 

Tomorrow I need to make a quick steaming tube so I can steam the coaming trim and get that installed.

• Like 1

So to steam the coaming trim I needed to make a quick steaming unit. Since I am only steaming 2 - 3/16' x 5/16" x 8' pieces I just used a 1" copper pipe as recommended in the directions but rather than use a camp stove and a teapot, since I had neither and may do some more steaming in the future, I purchased the Earlex steamer kit.

First up was drilling two holes in the pipe one for the steamer hose and a small drain hole on the bottom to drain the condensation from the pipe

Kayak 64.JPG

I just used the heavy duty aluminum foil I use in my smoker for a makeshift cover and taped it on with left over pipe tape from my dust collection system

Kayak 65.JPG

ok lets fire this thing up...

Kayak 66.JPG

yep we have steam...

Kayak 69.JPG

now just put the strips in for 20 minutes

Kayak 67.JPG

Kayak 68.JPG

...and there we have it! I will leave it clamped until tomorrow and then epoxy it in place.

Kayak 70.JPG

• Like 1

Looks awesome! It is amazing the collection of spring clamps you acquire doing this.

I had a ton of fun building a strip kayak a few years back. Sadly I lost one hatch cover along I-80 somewhere in South Dakota. So be careful or just keep a few scraps of that same plywood so you can match it later if that happens to you ;)

3 hours ago, AJ_Engineer said:

Looks awesome! It is amazing the collection of spring clamps you acquire doing this.

I had a ton of fun building a strip kayak a few years back. Sadly I lost one hatch cover along I-80 somewhere in South Dakota. So be careful or just keep a few scraps of that same plywood so you can match it later if that happens to you ;)

Thanks! 

Thanks for the heads up on the hatch covers two!!

Awesome post, sounds like a real adventure and that's one hell of a souvenir!

I'm not sure if you've got any more steam bending to do but I came across this a while ago on youtube:

As a bit of a sideline I don't know if anyone has heard of James Otter - makes hollow wooden surfboards in Cornwall: 

• 1 year later...