Anyone in the Tacoma/Federal Way Washington area?

Riley

Wow, its very cool to see so many people in this area!

So i have a big ask. I am very new to wood working. I have taken a beginner class at wood craft in Seattle and learned a bit from youtube and this site. However, I am getting very frustrated because i just dont know what I'm doing. Is anyone willing to show me the ropes as it were? Im willing to come to your shop. I'll reimburse you for your time in some way, money, beer, labor, whatever. 

Some things I'm trying to learn. how to measure and mark properly, how to true up power tools (i have a chop saw that i just can not get square), basic hand tool use. 

I have looked for more classes but the last class i didn't really learn much because all the details were done form me and most of the class was "follow this jig."

If anyone has any ideas on other places to look for classes I'm down for that too, or any other thoughts.

thanks,

-Riley 

49 minutes ago, Riley said:

Wow, its very cool to see so many people in this area!

So i have a big ask. I am very new to wood working. I have taken a beginner class at wood craft in Seattle and learned a bit from youtube and this site. However, I am getting very frustrated because i just dont know what I'm doing. Is anyone willing to show me the ropes as it were? Im willing to come to your shop. I'll reimburse you for your time in some way, money, beer, labor, whatever. 

Some things I'm trying to learn. how to measure and mark properly, how to true up power tools (i have a chop saw that i just can not get square), basic hand tool use. 

I have looked for more classes but the last class i didn't really learn much because all the details were done form me and most of the class was "follow this jig."

If anyone has any ideas on other places to look for classes I'm down for that too, or any other thoughts.

thanks,

-Riley 

I'm not in your region, so I can't help directly...but I've faced similar frustrations and ended up learning a lot from a couple online resources :

1.  www.thewoodwhisperer.com --> Marc has done hundreds of free articles/videos over the last decade, and I've learned a ton from him.
  2. www.finewoodworking.com  --> I have read a lot of old issues of the magazine (I can buy them for 25 cents apiece locally), and gone through some decent free content on their website. I have heard the paid content on their site is good too, but haven't done that myself.
  3. Other youtube-woodworkers --> This is hit or miss, as some of the people out there have varying levels of knowledge/experience, and different standards for quality, shop safety, etc...A couple examples:

Also, this forum is quite helpful...start a new thread in the power tool section with some specific details about the trouble you're having with your miter saw, and I'm sure you'll get some really helpful responses. Lots of details and pictures where applicable will really increase the odds you get good responses.

You might want to check out IsGood Woodworks Collective. They have a shared shop, classes, and plenty of people to brainstorm and help share ideas. It's in South Seattle so if you can get to Woodcraft, you can get there. :)

http://isgoodwoodworks.com/

https://www.meetup.com/IsGood-Woodworks/

(No affiliation, just providing possible help for you.)

It would involve some travel (and some money), but the Port Townsend School of Woodworking is absolutely fantastic. ClassAct and I have both taken weekend hand tool courses there. They offer a wide variety of classes.

Like Joseph said, start asking questions. Most everyone here is friendly, and happy to offer advice. One piece of advice you will hear a lot is, what's your project? Find something specific you want to make, then figure out how to make it. Just picking up skills won't help you as much in your journey as solving very specific problems.

It's a bad time of year for planning anything with me, but if you're still around come the new year, send me a PM, I'll be happy to show you around my (small) shop and share my meager knowledge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Riley said:

However, I am getting very frustrated because i just dont know what I'm doing. Is anyone willing to show me the ropes as it were? Im willing to come to your shop.

Riley, I am a self-taught wood worker, recently retired Seattle Police Officer, I cuss (a lot), smoke cigarettes,  and am slightly to the right of Limbaugh in my politics.  I am just starting this project: 

and if you think you can tolerate me you are welcome to come up to Sedro Woolley and tag along.  Send me a pm if your interested.

• Like 1

I am in South Everett and just setting up my shop. My knowledge is limited compared to a lot of the guys here. I have been around woodworking all my life, Grandfather and Father, and now have a dedicated space to call my own. Its small,  2 car garage, but it works. I am pretty busy right now but hoping to slow down in the next few weeks. I am southern boy and like Bob, I cuss and drink beer. I don't really discuss politics or smoke cigarettes (ex smoker). Shoot me a PM sometime and when things slow down for me we can get together.

• Like 1