pricing a sculpture/table

treesner

2 minutes ago, Bankstick said:

After all, look at Michaelangelo, PIcasso, Remington, and others.

Did his shotguns go up in value without me looking? :)

Names only matter for a certain tier of work. Go into your local art gallery, those aren't big names, those are working artists, whatever medium they use. If you're aiming at hundreds of thousands, then maybe your name matters, but at the basic tiers, it's what catches the customers eye, and for bigger tickets, it's word of mouth.

15 minutes ago, Bankstick said:

BP, I'm talking about the western artist and sculpture, Frederick Remington.

BTW, Oliaphat Remington's guns have gone up.  What was $150 thirty years ago is now over $400!

Oh yeah. Michaelangelo, Picasso and that dude that paints horses. I am leaning toward an auto correct error, but it was smooth regardless. Hehe. 

Actually, it's a leap to go from michaelangelo to Picasso, so I'm probably wrong. 

Two things I have learned about selling furniture.

1. Your furniture is WORTH what someone will pay for it.

2. The first person to say a price loses. I always ask the person who is interested in my furniture how much they want it for or how much they would pay for it. If they say an IKEA number, I politely say I think I am going to hang on to it. If they say a high number, I say sold before they can rethink their offer. If they are close to what I was thinking, I sell it for the price they offered. There is usually an awkward silence after asking them what they would pay for it.

On 12/6/2016 at 5:03 PM, wdwerker said:

Minimum $600 plus materials . $1000 is pretty reasonable for an original piece like that.

Agree....But the fact that you show the piece on a hobby forum I wouldn't suggest.

It's just a "piece" at this time. How you present it,Price it and who that see's it will make a difference.

Very nice piece...It will help if you have it professionally photographed.

7 hours ago, Mike. said:

I agree - I think woodworking, music, art, food are all the same.  Business is no different.  The best product doesn't win.  the best marketed product wins.  I guarantee there are garages full of great furniture, hard drives full of better operating systems and basements full of better art than the word is currently seeing.  That stuff is hidden in the shadows not because the maker doesn't have a name, it is hidden in the shadows because the maker does not know how, or does not want, to market it.  

You don't need to have a huge name.  You just need to find the right market and sell your stuff.   There are plenty of $2mln+ houses in America and the owners of those homes need stuff to fill the walls and floors.  

Bingo

It's easy to see, go online to social media and you can see.  I follow people on facebook and instagram, they do good work but nothing tremendously better than people on here or other people I follow online.  But the prices they get and the quantity they sell at is a heck of a lot more because they know how to market themselves to where people see the value in their work.  If your marketing skills are better than your woodworking skills then you're gonna make more money than vise versa I believe.  Just like some people on youtube, they have massive followings because they're good at marketing themselves even though they don't really know what they're doing haha.