Entry level jointer

Isaac

I have the Ridgid jointer and, although it has served me well for several years, I think you can do better.  The infeed and outfeed tables are not perfectly aligned but they are very close.  The fence does not always remain perpendicular to the table when I move the fence in and out.  I always have to check it with my square.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

I have the Ridgid jointer and, although it has served me well for several years, I think you can do better.  The infeed and outfeed tables are not perfectly aligned but they are very close.  The fence does not always remain perpendicular to the table when I move the fence in and out.  I always have to check it with my square.

Same.  It's not good enough for me to recommend if buying new, but it's good enough for me to not want/need to go through the trouble and expense of upgrading.

8 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Well technically the infeed and outfeed tables are supposed to be a little off. :) 

• 1 year later...

IMO, you find a lot of 6” jointers for sale because most folks “out grow” them and move to larger sizes. I got lucky last summer and found a Grizzly G0593 8in used on CL at a decent price for 3 years old (not the deal of the century but did save me $350).
How quickly you need a jointer will determine whether you pick up one of these USED 6” models while waiting for a deal on a larger model. To be honest, I have used the full 8” capacity of my jointer, but do admit that the majority of my jointing could have been done with a 6” jointer. With the proper planning you could very well get by with a 6” model for quite some time though the extra width is always a plus factor.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, jplemons said:

Against all advice about bench top jointers, I've been looking at this  

http://www.cutechtool.com/category-s/107.htm

Its not a true helical head but it supposed to be quieter than others. It seems good to me, and I'm not sure if need to be able to joint anything longer on a regular basis. The only exception would be parts for a bed I want to make. Mainly it's the 6" width that's holding me back. 

I have this and love love love it.

25 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I have this and love love love it.

This is actually the model I settled on. My only real regret was that they released those 8” models with the extension bars shortly after I bought the 6” model. It would be nice to have that option, for not much more money. It works well for me and is quick to set up and put away.

If I move and I get a larger space (hopefully with taller ceilings) I’ll look a larger cabinet tools.