Harbor Freight Lathe question

Scott Meggison

I just bought a HF 10 x 18 lathe. I am having trouble getting the morse taper out of the headstock. The tailstock MT came out like I expected, with just a few light taps. The headstock is not budging. Before I get a bigger hammer and destroy something, thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with this.The manual mentions a tool. "Not Included" and that is all the info they give. Hope someone can suggest something.

Thanks

HF Lathe headstock 01.jpg

HF Lathe headstock 02.jpg

Yes, a ram stick is required.  Just a long rod will work fine.   But I have to ask, that face plate has indents for a wrench.  Are you sure it's not threaded on the drive shaft?  All face plates screw on, leaving the MT untouched. 

EDIT:  Looking closer at the photos, I see now.  The drive center is in the taper, while the FP is screwed on.  Until you get the ramrod, try loosening the face plate, and then spin it quickly into the drive center.  That should give a little whack, and evenly, knocking it free. 

But there's a great lathe project, make a nice handle on the ramrod.  I'd using smooth rod, threaded rod might ding up the taper some. 

• Like 2

I just gave up messing with it and exchanged it at HF. They are good about that. The new one is still in the box. Very busy today, bought a vintage drum set to restore. Will get the lathe set up this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions. I belong to several forums, Vintage Drums, High End Audio Equipment, Guitar restoration and the people here are by far the best and most helpful.

• Like 2