Build or Buy a Cyclone?

Chris H

I have recently upgraded my 2HP Harbor Freight unit, that had a Wynn Filter and Super Dust Deputy, with a Grizzly G0562.

The original plan was just to plop the new blower on the existing setup and expand/replace the filters (ignorant in hind sight).  However, I quickly found that this was much too much motor for the "Super Dust Deputy".  First time I fired it up, it sucked the pipes clean as well as emptied the barrel.  So the backup plan was to upgrade to the "Super Dust Deputy XL".  The motor overpowered that as well.  I could get the barrel to about 25% full before the chips just went right to the filter/bags.  

So my question for the forum is if anyone has any experience building a large cyclone, and if so, do you recommend the build or just buy?  I have limited metal experience, but always willing to learn, especially on shop projects.  If buy is the recommendation, any economical options out there?  I can only find options online to buy the blower with the cyclone.  

The first though that came to mind was to throttle back the blower with a speed control. But that would probably defeat whole purpose of increased suction.  Might as well use a shop vac at that point.

I personally would buy given the $149 units on eBay and how much time it will take one to build it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Separator-for-Dust-Collector-with-Left-hand-Inlet-/280840027122

If the price were higher I'd look into a sheet of wacky wood, or maybe sheet metal, for the cone and some steel for a fame to put it all on a cart.

Thanks Collin, that is the guy. He has 3 sizes on his website, with left and right versions of each. I wonder about the blower being too strong for the Dust Deputy XL. I have read that any leaks below the cyclone will pull chips out of the drum. Could this be part of the problem for Chris?Most guys say their systems are under powered , and this is why I started with a 3HP Grizzly blower . 

Seals are critical as they change performance throughout the system, whether inexpensive or expensive. It's cost to be considered.

With my shop vac the little Dust Deputy is adequate. If I put a heftier blower on it (coupled with an out-bound dust filter) then I might anticipate the lid leaking air in. But that's only a guess and a future matter. Right now it works.

The ebay guy shows a steel trash can. I'd be certain to use a rubber gasket under the lid and add clamps to lock it down tight. Not b/c of air and loss of vacuum but because of physical inertia and the sheer size of the unit.

Just fyi on performance ...

5 hours ago, collinb said:

The first though that came to mind was the $149 units on eBay and how much time it will take one to build it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Separator-for-Dust-Collector-with-Left-hand-Inlet-/280840027122

I have this.  The bottom of the cyclone is only 4", so it tends to clog pretty easily.  That said, when it is NOT clogged, I get EXTREMELY efficient separation.  I bet it's 98% or better.

With this setup I get a decent amount of suction, but of course we're not talking about fine dust here.

All told I probably have $5-600 invested in this, if I were smarter I would have bought a grizzly cyclone...but then it's harder to slide $800 past the wife at once rather than $150 here and there.

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2017 at 10:55 AM, blackoak said:

Thanks Collin, that is the guy. He has 3 sizes on his website, with left and right versions of each. I wonder about the blower being too strong for the Dust Deputy XL. I have read that any leaks below the cyclone will pull chips out of the drum. Could this be part of the problem for Chris?Most guys say their systems are under powered , and this is why I started with a 3HP Grizzly blower . 

I actually had this exact problem with my HF 2HP version.  I checked for leaks, so I don't think that it.  Good thought though.

On 4/11/2017 at 8:34 AM, collinb said:

The first though that came to mind was to throttle back the blower with a speed control. But that would probably defeat whole purpose of increased suction.  Might as well use a shop vac at that point.

I personally would buy given the $149 units on eBay and how much time it will take one to build it.

If the price were higher I'd look into a sheet of wacky wood, or maybe sheet metal, for the cone and some steel for a fame to put it all on a cart.

This is a good thought, but I believe this would be tool small.  Dimensions seem like they are similar to the SDD XL.  I think I may be stuck either forking over the $450 to CV or building.

3 hours ago, Lucasd2002 said:

Anyone have opinions on whether the clearview is worth the ~$200 premium over the DDXL?

The ClearVue is substantially larger than the DDXL.  I am not suggesting that necessarily justifies it, but they are pretty different.

Chris,

Since no one has seen your set up it is hard to comment, but many people had the set up you described with a 3HP blower with out the issue you encountered.  One guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYQCAgP2Ts) has a blower that I believe is slightly stronger than the Grizzly you have and has great performance.

That said a full cyclone like the CV should have great performance, but I believe is designed for a larger blower.  I would check the CV forums and CV themselves about your configuration.

Good luck with whatever you do and let us know how it works.

Carl

It does not make sense that barrel is getting emptied by the cyclone/blower.  There's only two ways that can happen: (1) there is a leak somewhere in the barrel, causing air flow from the barrel up the cyclone to the filters (2) there is MASSIVE air turbulence in the barrel caused by the airflow in the cyclone.  The cyclones are designed to have virtually no air movement near the opening at the bottom, so dust can settle via gravity in to the barrel.  Based on other's experience with the DD, I doubt the air turbulence is a problem inherit to the design of the cyclone.  There must be a leak somewhere.  It does not take much of a leak to cause this to happen.

If you are wanting to move to a different solution, ClearVue is pretty good.  I have the CV1800 cyclone and 16" fan, 5HP.   The 16" fan is supposed to go with the larger CVMAX cyclone, but it works fine with the CV1800.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 8:54 PM, WoodNDust said:

What did you end up deciding?  Funny thing is that I'm looking at the same decision right now.  I have the Grizzly G0562Z 3 HP dust collector.  I am considering the Oneida Super Dust Deputy XL.  Here is a link to someone who added the Super Dust Deputy XL to their G0562 with apparent success.

I also looked at the Clearvue, though I haven't found anyone who has added the Clearvue to this Grizzly dust collector.

I ended going without a separator for the short term.  Appreciate the link though.  I did mount the blower directly to the top of the DDXL, so perhaps the venting was enough to slow air turbulence or I had a leak somewhere.  I ended up returning the DDXL with the intent to buy into a CV at some point, but couldn't swing it immediately financially.  Given the link shared, I may try the DDXL again, being extremely careful of any leaks, and then if still having issues, just adding some distance and bends between the blower and the separator.  

good luck chris . i have seen the oneida  C-650 at $400  /or / the east caroga Lg. cyclone at $200  as good options. These have identical dimensions ( H x D x W ) and look identical w/ nuetral vanes sloped at 15 degrees. Reviews on the East Caroga are hard to find , and I'm sure the clearvue is superior . Still , $200 plus shipping is very tempting. If I find some  folks who like it , I will probably go with East Caroga. The Oneida  at $400 ,NOPE.