Bench build complementary woods?

rrich1

Hello, I am going to be building Jay Bates' workbench here soon. I believe I am going to use southern yellow pine for the build. I priced out other woods and we're more than I wanted to spend at this time. Is there complementary wood I could add into the lamination to add a little pop to it? Thanks!

Ryan

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My thoughts have evolved on this, but my current advice is don't do anything to dress up your bench your bench.  It's a workbench, it should be constructed to the best of your ability, have the best vises you can afford and that's it. It will acquire beauty through use. 

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with Barron and I think a lot of benches end up looking overdone with all the different species in all the wrong places.  I've also evolved on aesthetics since I built mine, and while I don't necessarily regret the splash of color I added to the end cap and dog strip, I think going too far is an easy trap to fall into and more times than not it takes away from the look instead of adding to it.  The coolest looking benches are the ones that show years of use, regardless of the combination of species used.

Aesthetics are personal and only you can decide what looks good and what doesn't...but keep in mind that as you build more and more pieces, aesthetic taste usually evolves in the "less is more" direction.  The only design decisions I've ever regretted are the ones that look like I was trying too hard to impress people with stark contrast and severe curves or angles.  I've never regretted simple designs built of a single species or subtle, complementary species.

When it comes to benches, it's more about function than it is form...so if I had one bit of advice it would be to think long and hard about using an inferior species like pine to build it with (even SYP).  If this is a bench that you plan to keep and use the rest of your life, it will surely be worth it to pay the extra couple hundred dollars to build it with a more use-appropriate hardwood.  What's a couple hundred dollars over the course of a lifetime, especially when it comes to something you presumably take pride in?  And not only will you end up with a higher quality bench, but working with box store lumber also brings with it another set of complications and pitfalls that should be factored into the cost of materials.  There's nothing more disappointing or frustrating than wood that won't stay flat and straight.  Builder beware.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I'm lucky enough to have a wood working store in the area that has a great selection of hardwood and slabs. I ended up purchasing some syp and hickory. Spent a lot of time in there the last few days and spoke with quite a few different people. I think they will work well together. Being my first bench I figured it would give me a good indication of what I liked and didn't like in a bench. If my needs change later on and i get set into a certain type of work I can build a better suited bench made with different materials. The hickory will add some slight contrast but not a hey look at me approach. The syp is very nice with only a knit or two in the 8/4 stock I bought. There was virtually no cost difference between the two either. 04f44e5ae91886a3bfcf239cbafb2afd.jpg10610354e2339333e7cef9cbb88021dd.jpg3f62455d33644f92fc0e8ce9b48cce58.jpg

Beware, hickory and SYP are vastly different materials. If you laminate them together for the slab top, you may find the pine wearing away quickly, while the hickory strips do not. Personally, I would stay with one species for the top.

Noted. Thank you. I got some work done on the top tonight but it is too late to plane them so that will wait for tomorrow.

9 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Beware, hickory and SYP are vastly different materials. If you laminate them together for the slab top, you may find the pine wearing away quickly, while the hickory strips do not. Personally, I would stay with one species for the top.

I'd have to think that if you're planning to flatten the top by hand at all, it would also make it interesting to try and plane the two materials. I would expect the hickory to be a lot harder to work than the pine.

New southern yellow pine is much easier to plane but 10 year old SYP is probably about equal. 30 year old is some incredibly tough wood.

Old growth longleaf pine (heartpine) is harder than plenty of the hardwoods we use. I have counted 40 years growth in one inch