Fox's Modern Table

Denette

Cherry Strip, yay or nay?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should the table have the "racing stripe" top?

• No, no!! My eyes!!!! Burn it! Make if from one species!
    • Eh, it's okay, I don't really care much either way.
    • I kind of like it, actually. *ducks and hides*

Looks what arrived today! This should really help with my layout and when I do the half-blind dovetails on the drawers.

b9038c0fcbfac56c9d76e04f7019371c.jpg

It'll be my last luxury tool purchase for a while, but it seems like a good one! The miter square is supposed to be square to 3 thou, which makes it the squarest thing in my shop so far. And it's a good base for striking the miter on the edge. Part of my trouble with the joint has been that I have been forced to just get by with a steel rule held from point to point to strike the 45° line. This should help a lot.

Also, I feel like I have arrived at a new stage of woodworking now that I own something with Japanese characters on it.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I'm just fortunate that there was an offcut that had enough usable wood from the original boards to patch it with a near-exact grain match.

So this afternoon I've noodled around in SketchUp and I think I've come across a solution for attaching the legs that makes my inner sawdust tingle with anticipation and excitement.  I realized that it was a viable way to attach a base after rewatching the documentary "Building Without Nails" that I recommended in the online woodworker topic I started yesterday.  Check it out.

First, I make some dovetail keys.  1" long, ¾" tall, ½" wide.

59345f1005287_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_26_55PM.jpg.8c0525cd4bafdbe80de3dbad6afffe65.jpg

I cut dovetailed sockets into the top rails of the legs, parallel with the long dimension of the table:

59345fd696ed6_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_30_21PM.thumb.jpg.6e5fd10c8919d543d56c8f37a05556d2.jpg

I glue the dovetail keys into the legs, and trim the half that goes into the leg flush with the leg face:

5934604d852bf_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_32_15PM.thumb.jpg.eb54737373ef4ad24db9a1c46feb3867.jpg

And then the ⅜" dovetail slots get routed into the underside of the base of the case.  Two inches long; one squarely ½", and the other dovetailed for the keys:

5934608bcee36_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_33_21PM.thumb.jpg.3af0cd38f717e83541bc8605ad23d048.jpg

And then the legs just slide into place and get glued there:

59346264a1e7b_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_37_51PM.thumb.jpg.bd22bc6ff8cfccd636d471103a89fca9.jpg5934626bce73a_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_38_14PM.thumb.jpg.1b3248c7be2787a5ae261c68c33f0f6b.jpg59346275a0deb_ScreenShot2017-06-04at2_40_54PM.thumb.jpg.c69a93b06f4847783506abea20a2db96.jpg

With a little glue it should lock in place!  It seems like a good fastener-free way to join the base to the top.  The only drawback I see (beside the difficulty, which is actually attractive to me) is that it will leave a small triangular hole next to each DT key on the underside, but that is nothing that anyone would ever see or care about.

Any thoughts on this, and why it would or wouldn't work?  Also, any idea on which orientation the grain should be in for the dovetail keys?  The end grain will either be on the hourglass-shaped sides or on the top & bottom, and as far as structure, one seems as good as the other to my mind.

I'm not sure it won't work...but it doesn't really allow for movement.  There might be enough flex in the leg assembly to give enough to keep the top from cracking...but it would make me nervous.  There's no shame in using screws to attach a table top.  It'll save you a few hours of agonizing work, too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm not sure it won't work...but it doesn't really allow for movement.  There might be enough flex in the leg assembly to give enough to keep the top from cracking...but it would make me nervous.  There's no shame in using screws to attach a table top.  It'll save you a few hours of agonizing work, too.

If you look more closely at the Miya Shoji table, you'll see that the DT sockets are cut perpendicular to the grain, so during expansion and contraction the top can move freely.  That's not the case with your design...

Interesting - I hadn't noticed the grain orientation in the video.  I guess I just assumed that the keys would slide in parallel to the grain, but you're right, it does make more sense for movement to work perpendicular to the grain with that particular joint.

There is indeed a little flex in the leg assembly.  I was actually considering foregoing the glue in the intersection where the two leg assemblies meet in order to allow for movement.  That intersection has a little flex, and can scissor like a crisscross maybe a little over 1/4" at the ends if you stress it. The distance between the dovetail keys would only be 7 inches.  I would wager that I'd have to move from Arizona to southern Alabama to have enough of a moisture change to cause so much movement over so short a distance, right?

Yeah you're probably right.  But technically it's improper construction, and if that's not enough...a lot of extra work for not a great reason.  But you certainly seem to be in the self-challenge mode lately, so if that's what's floatin' yer boat, have at it. :)

We've had this conversation before, but perhaps it's worth repeating...you might consider putting that extra effort into something that will make an aesthetic difference in the piece.  That's where I try to spend any superfluous time in a build.  What happens under the rug isn't really my priority.  I'm not saying to do sloppy work because something won't be seen...but I try to balance my OCD with common sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yeah you're probably right.  But technically it's improper construction, and if that's not enough...a lot of extra work for not a great reason.  But you certainly seem to be in the self-challenge mode lately, so if that's what's floatin' yer boat, have at it. :)

We've had this conversation before, but perhaps it's worth repeating...you might consider putting that extra effort into something that will make an aesthetic difference in the piece.  That's where I try to spend any superfluous time in a build.  What happens under the rug isn't really my priority.  I'm not saying to do sloppy work because something won't be seen...but I try to balance my OCD with common sense.

I hear what you're saying!  And if I were working with techniques that I had already mastered, I'd probably do the same.  Lord knows those 14" long miters would be way faster with some biscuits and a strap clamp.  But I'm going with all of these labor-intensive hidden joinery techniques on this project mainly because it allows me to practice in a relatively low-stakes environment.  If I screw up a spot on a concealed bit of joinery, who cares?  I'd rather learn new techniques in a way that allows me to point them out if I choose to, but also makes hiding my mistakes easy.  Since I'm trying a lot of new techniques for the first time here, I'm totally fine with them being hidden.  Honestly it makes things less stressful to practice like this, and that makes me work better.  Once I work the kinks out I'll show them off, but for now, I'm on a hidden joinery kick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bushwacked said:

$77? what other shiney things did you get then?

I don't even remember now LOL.  Oh, I bought an Incra protractor.  And a couple other little things not worth mentioning.  I'll let you know if they're more exciting than I think they are when they arrive.  Gotta love an impulse purchase.

2 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I don't even remember now LOL.  Oh, I bought an Incra protractor.  And a couple other little things not worth mentioning.  I'll let you know if they're more exciting than I think they are when they arrive.  Gotta love an impulse purchase.

haha, got to justify that shipping :) ... at least that is what I tell myself