TS Crosscut sled question.

AndysToys

I'd use it.  It would be nice and slick.  You could use ply for the fence to add a little non-slip action...it might not make much difference but I'm not so sure it matters.  Your table saw top and your miter gauge are slick, too.  When it doubt, use clamps.  Otherwise I don't think I'd worry about it.

I skip particle board and MDF for sleds just due to weight.  They can certainly work.  I use BB ply with a coat of shellac and some paste wax.  My larger sled has been riding on this surface for years without issue; I have re-waxed but, never re-finished.

I have fences made from solid wood and also from laminated BB ply.  I just jointed the solid wood.  I flattened and trued up the ply like flattening a plane sole on some sandpaper stuck to a flat surface.  Both have worked fine but, I would skip composite for the fence; they flex too easily for my taste.

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Would you not want the fence on the sled to be non slippery? Something to hold it in place to keep it from shifting without the use of clamps? 

That's why I suggested using ply for the fence instead of melamine, ideally unfinished ply.  You could also use the sandpaper trick, but that would concern me a little bit because it could throw off the cut angle if it ever bubbled or got torn or boogers got kind of stuck to it...or anything.

On the other hand, my sled is finished ply and it's probably as slick as melamine anyway...and I have no issues.