Shop Layout

Clay@sprucecreations

I just moved into a new house that has a 25x30 pole building in the back yard. I just had electricity install and I'm in the process of laying out all my tools. I think I'm going to go with the table saw in the center and outfield tables surrounding it. Any tips you guys may have on laying out the rest of my tools? I have a band saw, planer, drill press, miter saw (with station), assembly table (4x8), jointer, and all the hand tool. I am a hobbyist as of now but looking to go full time in the next year. Thanks! 

• Like 1

If you are like a lot of us here you will likely go through several shop formations as you develop a work flow that you like.  Don't fight the urge to try different set ups.  The first layout won't be your last.

Hi, Clay! You mentioned going full-time in the shop. Building mostly cabinets, custom furniture, or other? I notice that the pro cabinet shops I see tend to have a different (more limited) set of machines, although usually of the larger variety.

Makes a difference in layout needs.

For me it's all about getting the rough sawn lumber in and down to dimension. That flow is where I think most of the time is spent where machine layout is important. My table saw is in the middle, to the right, next to the saw is the jointer, planer and wide belt sander. So wheather I'm starting at the jointer or the saw, all three machines are just a few steps from each other. The saw's outfeed table is right there to lay the boards on as they go through the planer, same with the jointer. From there they usually go to the miter saw and get cut to length. At that point they go on a cart, where I can easily take them to the mortiser, back to the saw for tennons, band saw, bench, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Think about how you process you materials also. Jointer to planer to tablesaw back to jointer those kinds of things keep those close so your not going from one side all the way to the other while milling down stock. The rest is more preference and what works best for your shop flow. Just my two penny's! Keep us posted with pictures!

The smartest thing I've ever read about shop layout is location of wood storage.  You just don't want to have to run an obstacle course across your shop to bring in lumber.  So in that thought you want wood storage in close proximity to the door. 

With that same thought in mind, especially if you are building cabinets and will be using a lot of sheet goods:  you want the table saw in close proximity to your wood storage. Think about the difficulty of maneuvering around various machines while lugging a 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood.