Painting on new construction

Brendon_t

I know this technically fits the forum but to me doesn't really fit within the spirit of it so here we are in of topic.

Over the weekend I built a patio cover over the back porch with construction lumber from a good building yard. A lot of the pieces, specifically 2x4 and 4x4 didn't seem KD to me and on a chilly morning feel a bit damp. We will be painting the whole cover with white paint to match the fasia on the house. 

First, is there any wisdom in waiting for a few days of hot weather to dry the wood before painting? 

Secondly,  does anyone have a recommendation for an outdoor quality paint?  I have just about everything paint store locally but it can only be WB. No oil in CA any more. Thanks.

IMG_20170528_135612.jpg

Great idea I hadn't thought of.  

And btw, the grass isn't always dead. We took the winter off from watering. There is some nutrient work we are deficient so up on the list is also rototill the whole thing with nutrients and fertilizer then fresh sod.

I exclusively use benjamin moore regal select exterior:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/rsep/regal-select-exterior-paint

Holds up very well to new england winters, so my guess is it would be bulletproof in LA.  

I would definitely let that construction lumber dry out a bit.  And you'll definitely want a primer coat or two.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

I exclusively use benjamin moore regal select exterior:

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/rsep/regal-select-exterior-paint

Holds up very well to new england winters, so my guess is it would be bulletproof in LA.  

I would definitely let that construction lumber dry out a bit.  And you'll definitely want a primer coat or two.  

Thanks B. I'll check it out.

6 minutes ago, mat60 said:

What will you be using for roofing and did you need to get a permit for the build?

The roofing will be shingles over paper. I know it's a low pitch but it's mostly decorative. It rains a few times a year here. I could probably staple a clear tarp up there and it never leak.

If I needed a permit, I didn't check because I really didn't care.  There was one there as of last December. I just re built it, bigger..

• Like 1

I might consider a deck stain instead of paint.  You can get them in all kinds of colors, and they are less likely to peel over time.  Ben Moore's line is good.  It is called Arborcoat.

Personally I'd wait a month before applying any finish.  Construction lumber is KD to the 20% range.  Let it shed some moisture and the paint or stain will adhere better and won't be impacted by .  I own a moisture meter, so I would take moisture reading and then paint it when it stabilizes.  If you don't have a meter, just wait.

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

If I needed a permit, I didn't check because I really didn't care.

In Northern California, as in San Jose, If you lag bolt it to the house it is considered temporary and no permit required, but if you nail it to the house it is consider Permanent and therefore needs a permit... Just a point of interest.

35 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I might consider a deck stain instead of paint.  You can get them in all kinds of colors, and they are less likely to peel over time.  Ben Moore's line is good.  It is called Arborcoat.

Mike have you used arborcoat?  It's the one benjamin moore product I've used that has failed me.  I absolutely hate it.  Peeled and flaked off on me after one winter (twice).  Stopped using it and have used Sikkens for exterior stains ever since, and I've been very happy with its performance.

24 minutes ago, Chet K said:

In Northern California, as in San Jose, If you lag bolt it to the house it is considered temporary and no permit required, but if you nail it to the house it is consider Permanent and therefore needs a permit... Just a point of interest.

Good to know. I am lagged into the house with something like 14 6" lags. 

40 minutes ago, bgreenb said:

Mike have you used arborcoat?  It's the one benjamin moore product I've used that has failed me.  I absolutely hate it.  Peeled and flaked off on me after one winter (twice).  Stopped using it and have used Sikkens for exterior stains ever since, and I've been very happy with its performance.

I did, but it was 10 years ago.  It help up well on western red cedar stair treads for the 3 years I was at that house.  But maybe the formulation changed. 

I wouldn't paint anything until you know it's dry.  I'm surprised you don't have a moisture meter.  

The Sikkens I'm familiar with is probably against the law there.  Otherwise, it's always my first choice for something that's not going to get paint.

27 minutes ago, Tom King said:

I wouldn't paint anything until you know it's dry.  I'm surprised you don't have a moisture meter.  

The Sikkens I'm familiar with is probably against the law there.  Otherwise, it's always my first choice for something that's not going to get paint.

I do and never claimed otherwise. I haven't considered using it as I have no reference for a baseline. I Couldn't tell you what MC this lumber should be before paint will adhere. Is there a guideline for that? If you can't tell, I don't do this type of work often.

7 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

I do and never claimed otherwise. I haven't considered using it as I have no reference for a baseline. I Couldn't tell you what MC this lumber should be before paint will adhere. Is there a guideline for that? If you can't tell, I don't do this type of work often.

Assuming 70F and 60% RH (typical LA area conditions) you want your lumber to be at 12% EMC.   If it is much higher than that, it will continue to shrink until it hits 12%.  If you paint the wood and it shrinks, the paint will crack and peel.  It is not just adherance, it is also movement that you need to worry about. 

12% is considered dry here. That's pretty typical for wood that's stored under sheds here.  I expect it's drier on average there than here.  I concur with what Mike said.  I wouldn't put anything on it until it hits 12 or below.  I wouldn't think it would take long, unless it's completely green.

I will second the rec on the Ben Moore Exterior paint. I have used both regal select and the Aura. While both are expensive I have never had any issues. Would recommend them with out reservation.

In regards to lumber dry enough to paint.....

If it was wet enough for you to feel the moisture I think it is going to take more than a few days to fully dry out. Might be a month or more. Also, if you are just planning on painting the SPF from the lumber yard you will need to prime first with a good oil based primer. I like zinsser cover stain.

31 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

We can't even have oil paintings anymore.

I feel for you buddy.  I don't necessarily miss oil base paints, but at least here in Northern California I can get oil base finishes for shop projects.  Got a legal can of ARS in the shop right now.:)

34 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Must have missed the California part. We can't even have oil paintings anymore..

Sorry. Did read the CA part but for got about the Voc stuff. 

Im sure some compliant primer is made that zinsser would say is comparable to cover Stain