Clock you plugs

Chet

On 6/5/2017 at 1:25 PM, wtnhighlander said:

On the other hand, does anyone plug their clocks?

Boy, did I misread that......

On 6/5/2017 at 0:42 PM, CandorLush said:

When I lost the depth setting in my mortiser and made a nice round 3/8" hole on the face of my leg, you bet your arse I clocked that

Took me minute you meant table (or whatever) leg, not your actual leg.   I spent many years in EMS and in ER's, never saw a dressing oriented with the tissue. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2017 at 5:22 PM, Eric. said:

If you use a face-grain plug, it only makes one statement, which is..."there's a screw under me."  You can't fool people with face-grain plugs.

Why not?   You could just say it's a piece of wood you custom carved to pin those pieces together...how many are going to actually realize it's a face grain and therefore that's BS?   It will give it that "handmade" mystique...they'll tell their friends "he hand carves pins of wood to hold the thing together! you can't buy THAT in a store"...until one of the plugs pops out anyway...

4 minutes ago, Vyrolan said:

Why not?   You could just say it's a piece of wood you custom carved to pin those pieces together...how many are going to actually realize it's a face grain and therefore that's BS?   It will give it that "handmade" mystique...they'll tell their friends "he hand carves pins of wood to hold the thing together! you can't buy THAT in a store"...until one of the plugs pops out anyway...

Well I agree that if you showed ten thousand people the plug, maybe ONE of them would know the difference, but...

The reason you can't fool someone into thinking a face grain plug is joinery is because you wouldn't be able to use a dowel that's oriented that way...it wouldn't be a dowel...it would just be a very long face grain plug. LOL...and it would be fragile as all hell.  It would have to be exposed end grain if it was a dowel used for joinery.

I'm finding it difficult to explain but it should be self explanatory.  If you see a face grain plug you know it's only skin deep and it doesn't have any structural integrity.

23 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'm finding it difficult to explain but it should be self explanatory.  If you see a face grain plug you know it's only skin deep and it doesn't have any structural integrity.

And you would need a really thick slab of wood to get a face grain dowel of any length, then it would just end up breaking every 1/2 inch or so.

32 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Well I agree that if you showed ten thousand people the plug, maybe ONE of them would know the difference, but...

The reason you can't fool someone into thinking a face grain plug is joinery is because you wouldn't be able to use a dowel that's oriented that way...it wouldn't be a dowel...it would just be a very long face grain plug. LOL...and it would be fragile as all hell.  It would have to be exposed end grain if it was a dowel used for joinery.

6 minutes ago, Chet K said:

And you would need a really thick slab of wood to get a face grain dowel of any length, then it would just end up breaking every 1/2 inch or so.

You guys are both missing the point...I'm fully aware that doesn't work...my point was Eric's 9,999 out of 10,000 would NOT and would totally believe it.

"If you see a face grain plug you know it's only skin deep and it doesn't have any structural integrity." <-- The "you" there is a woodworker...  My point was I find it excessively unlikely that a random person on the street knows this information.

12 minutes ago, Vyrolan said:

You guys are both missing the point...I'm fully aware that doesn't work...my point was Eric's 9,999 out of 10,000 would NOT and would totally believe it.

"If you see a face grain plug you know it's only skin deep and it doesn't have any structural integrity." <-- The "you" there is a woodworker...  My point was I find it excessively unlikely that a random person on the street knows this information.

I build my furniture for me and those who know what they're looking at...not for the 9,999. :)

Yeah, I don't think the end grain plug flies any higher. I don't walk up to a piece and assume it is great construction with through dowel joinery. Like I said earlier. Pegged tenons, drawbored tenons, and the like are not areas where screws are used. "Dowel plugs" or end grain plugs will still always look like plugs. Here is a simple why. Consider the shelves on my Jr. High trash pile. The shelves are a strong 3/4". The screws had about a 3/8" head to grab in soft pine. That someone would join a 3/4" shelf with a 3/8" dowel is a bit unusual. Most plugs I see represent this exact scenario. IF you must plug, think about those kinds of things.

29 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Yeah, I don't think the end grain plug flies any higher. I don't walk up to a piece and assume it is great construction with through dowel joinery. Like I said earlier. Pegged tenons, drawbored tenons, and the like are not areas where screws are used. "Dowel plugs" or end grain plugs will still always look like plugs. Here is a simple why. Consider the shelves on my Jr. High trash pile. The shelves are a strong 3/4". The screws had about a 3/8" head to grab in soft pine. That someone would join a 3/4" shelf with a 3/8" dowel is a bit unusual. Most plugs I see represent this exact scenario. IF you must plug, think about those kinds of things.

Did I use full length dowels as joinery for this Spag stool, or are these just plugs over screws?  You can't prove it either way, because you see end grain.  If they were face grain plugs, you'd know without doubt.  You probably have a guess...but that's all it is...a guess.  If I told you they were joinery dowels, you'd have to believe me.

ps2.jpg

abstool2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Did I use full length dowels as joinery for this Spag stool, or are these just plugs over screws?  You can't prove it either way, because you see end grain.  If they were face grain plugs, you'd know without doubt.  You probably have a guess...but that's all it is...a guess.  If I told you they were joinery dowels, you'd have to believe me.

Ponder the word "most." Then read back my last. The designer, whether you or Marc, considered these things and planned accordingly...or got lucky. 

While I am here though, splayed legs make me assume plugged screws. Right or wrong, that is what I perceive. 

15 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Ponder the word "most." Then read back my last. The designer, whether you or Marc, considered these things and planned accordingly...or got lucky. 

Most, I agree.  But not always.  And ultimately I agree with Mike...end grain always looks better, regardless of application.

• Like 1