Clock you plugs

Chet

Just now, Mike. said:

+1.  honestly ebony just looks like black plastic to me.  I guess it is cool because it is wood, but aesthetically it does not do much for me.  

Yeah makes for great accents.  I wouldn't wanna build a desk out of it even if I could.

5 hours ago, Chet K said:

Yea I wasn't specific was I.  I am making the plugs so my reference was to face grain.

You can make end grain plugs too. :)

Something like the LN dowel plate "works"...but it's not really ideal.  You have to drive perfectly straight grained wood through it or it splinters all to hell.  And even straight grain doesn't work out fairly often.  The Veritas dowel maker kit that Shane has is way awesome but super expensive for what it does.  I wanna get one eventually...my only beef is you can only make I think 3/8" dowel or larger.  I wish it would offer smaller sizes.

I think end grain plugs almost always look better.  Face grain plugs make it look like you're trying to hide something.  You can use the same species for the end grain plugs and they'll still pop a little.

• Like 2

... I think end grain plugs almost always look better.  Face grain plugs make it look like you're trying to hide something....

I'm guessing that's because ...

... wait for it ...

.... we're trying to hide something?

A dowel plate can make nice smooth dowels, if you file (or dremel) some "teeth" into the top face around the edge of the hole, then drive the nearly rounded blank through with a drill.

Saw Izzy do that, tried it, works pretty well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm guessing that's because ...

... wait for it ...

.... we're trying to hide something?

emoji3.png

LOL  Yeah...my point was if you use end grain plugs, often it can look like you actually used exposed dowel joinery instead of a screw.  It's more ambiguous.  If you use a face-grain plug, it only makes one statement, which is..."there's a screw under me."  You can't fool people with face-grain plugs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardA said:

When I built the love seats to replace my old sofa's... I used pegs, and I tried to clock them, but there were so many I just gave up. But there's not one piece of any metal in them.  I guess we'll see how long they last.

As long as you use them to sit in and not for recreational purposes, they will last forever!