Walnut Sculpted Rocker

Cheeset202

Finished sculpting the backs of the spindles, I used a fine Holey Galahad sculpting wheel to rough out the the shape, then a #6 Auriou rasp and cleaned up the shape with the #10 rasp.  I highly recommend you invest in a good set of rasps if you are going to do any sculpting, the Auriou rasps cut like butter and are a joy to use.  The self portrait is me getting ready to sculpt with the grinder, it's messy!  The Roubo bench is definitely my next project, it is a pain using my bench!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along!  A lot of work goes into that sculpting as well as a lot of time assessing what you just did to decide if you want to go further or not.  All personal choices and there aren't too many wrong answers as it's all personal choice.  Nice work..

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great!  I know I spent more time going over ever inch of it to repair stuff than I did building it ;)  It pays off tho.

The finish that Marc used is great if you want to fix a flaw after the finish is on.  Not a lot of protection with it and it's definitely "close to the wood".  Mine has held up better that I expected with that finish.

Well, finished the chair body and glued up the spindles and headrest.  Started cutting plugs out of wenge with the tapered Veritas plug cutters.  I was pretty disappointed with these as the large end of the taper was slightly smaller than the 3/8" hole, I expect better precision from Veritas!  Maybe they got metric mixed with imperial units!  I had an older set of non-tapered plug cutters and the 3/8" plug fit nice and snug.  A little more touch up work on the headrest and its onto the rockers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Rocker Looks great! I think something is a miss with your plug cutters I just used the LV ones on my sculpted rockers and they bottomed out with about a 1/16th to an 1/8th left.

You may be right on the plug cutters.  I have excessive run out on my drill press (PM2800) and this may be shaving down the plug so it is slightly smaller at the widest end of the taper.  Veritas is usually spot on with their quality so I may be blaming the wrong culprit.  I need to start a thread on my drill press to see if others have similar run out issues and what they did to solve them!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great! I had the same issue here in MN got 3" snow before I could do final leaf clean up but it melted and dried up enough I could do one last leaf pickup..but I have to admit it was a bit nippy at 31 degrees lol.

So are you plugs made of wenge as well? I really like that combination!