Walnut Sculpted Rocker

Cheeset202

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Andy, sorry for the delayed response, busted my leg back on June 21 and have been away from the shop and woodworking since!  I have a few more weeks before I will be able to stand without the crutches so I can get my hands back to begin working on the chair again.  I have the Auriou rasps, Makita die grinder, wide assortment of grinding bits, various scrapers and sanding tools. Do you have any special shaping tools you would recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got back in my shop today and started back up on the Maloof rocker build.  I fell from a ladder at work and broke both bones and tore 2 tendons in my lower right leg.  They put in a steel rod and screws and now 10 weeks later I am walking again, although with a limp!  Started doing the sculpting on the arms and I will post pics when they are completed.

23 minutes ago, Cheeset202 said:

Well, I finally got back in my shop today and started back up on the Maloof rocker build.  I fell from a ladder at work and broke both bones and tore 2 tendons in my lower right leg.  They put in a steel rod and screws and now 10 weeks later I am walking again, although with a limp!  Started doing the sculpting on the arms and I will post pics when they are completed.

Wow! So sorry to hear about your misfortune! I'm surprised you're back this soon!

1 minute ago, Mick S said:

Wow! So sorry to hear about your misfortune! I'm surprised you're back this soon!

Yes I am as well, I think the use of a steel rod to stabilize the bone (4" break) makes a huge difference in recovery time, I was walking on the leg at 50% weight after 6 weeks, using a cane at 8 weeks and full 100% weight at 9 weeks.  The only downside is my right leg is now 5/8" shorter than the left so I will need to put wedges in the heel of my right shoe!  Skiing this winter might be a challenge!  Just glad I am back in my shop!

... The only downside is my right leg is now 5/8" shorter than the left ....

Doc was using a metric rule?

Glad you're up and around, even if a bit uneven! Be diligent about that wedged shoe, though. A friend at work has a similar situation from and old break, and back problems abound from that offset.

1 hour ago, Cheeset202 said:

This is the first time I used the Auriou rasps they are a dream to work with

52 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Very nice! I agree on the rasps I used mine for the first time on my last project and couldn't believe how fun they were to use.

The first time you use them, how much they cost sort of disappears in to the background.

• Like 1

I need to start scrolling all the way down, I completely missed this. Great job so far, OP! I wish I had the nads to try it! All of you guys in that fire and smoke war zone, I hope it clears up soon for you. And a prayer to those brave souls fighting them! 

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I need to start scrolling all the way down, I completely missed this. Great job so far, OP! I wish I had the nads to try it! All of you guys in that fire and smoke war zone, I hope it clears up soon for you. And a prayer to those brave souls fighting them! 

Nowhere near the issues you faced in Houston with that terrible hurricane and unbelievable amounts of rain.  I have been following some of your updates on the forum and it looks like you faired ok compared to many, glad to see!   It now looks like Florida is about to meet the ravages of Irma!  The biggest disaster we face living in N Idaho is forest fires.  It has been one of the driest summers on record so everything is tinder dry.  We have no fires close to where I live just a lot of smoke from surrounding states and BC.

The Maloof rocker is one of my bucket list projects and I am enjoying the build tremendously, have made some mistakes along the way but that happens on most projects I do.  It is not as intimidating as it looks when you follow Marc's video instructions.  I wanted to learn sculpting and this project was the perfect choice.  

• Like 1

Marc is an incredible instructor and his vids are Hollywood quality. No saying that to kiss up! My bucket list varies from day to day, depending on what I dreamt about the night before. Varies from constructive to entertaining  ;)! Good luck on your build! 

I noticed 2 of my spindles were much lighter in color, came from a piece that transitioned from heartwood to sapwood.  One is a spare but the other one will look strange when it is put in the chair so I found enough room on one of my rear leg scraps to make another spindle.  I know if if I left the lighter colored one in it would bug me every time I looked at the chair.  Started sculpting the front of the spindles using SeventyFix's method with the Spokeshave.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1