6" flex hose

Matt Truiano

After looking around on the internet for 6" dust collection hose, i didn't find much. and what i did find was super expensive. especially when i only need about 12-18 inches. I'd rather not buy a 10' length of hose just for that. Does anyone have a scrap piece of 6" hose they'd be willing to sell me. It will be going from my dust collector to my super dust deputy. needs to be a flex hose so i can lift the lid of my metal container while the hose is still attached.

• Like 1

After looking around on the internet for 6" dust collection hose, i didn't find much. and what i did find was super expensive. especially when i only need about 12-18 inches. I'd rather not buy a 10' length of hose just for that. Does anyone have a scrap piece of 6" hose they'd be willing to sell me. It will be going from my dust collector to my super dust deputy. needs to be a flex hose so i can lift the lid of my metal container while the hose is still attached.

Have you tried finding a local hydraulics and hose supply place near you? It may not be cheap per lf of hose but you never know. Plus it's easier than waiting for a piece to ship.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, OldSouthWoodCraft said:

Have you tried finding a local hydraulics and hose supply place near you? It may not be cheap per lf of hose but you never know. Plus it's easier than waiting for a piece to ship.

Even better, if you can find a contractor who uses 6" flex, they may have that length of hose laying around they'll just give you for cheap rather than pitch it.  I got some 6" duct work that way from the guy installing the boiler in my house, he had it left over from his previous gig and was going to pitch it.  So now I have enough to vent my dust outside. 

29 minutes ago, Matt Truiano said:

what do other people do for this? I know I'm not the only one with a super dust deputy. How else would you approach this.

You must have the XL, because the regular SDD is 5". How are you mounting it? I have my SDD mounted directly above the SDD, and just used a short cutoff of the hose that came with the DC originally. Flex hose isn't really necessary, I could have done the same thing with rigid piping or a plastic coupler.

this is the setup i am currently using that isn't cutting it. its 6" semi rigid flex duct. it rips way to easily and i'm sure theres more wrong with using this than i am aware. But i am using the regular super dust deputy. not the XL. harbor freight DC. 5" to 6" reducer from the DC to the flex duct. flex goes right into the cyclone. am i doing something wrong?

dc.jpg

Loosen the clamps. I would bet the boot will seal without the clamps anyway. The idea is that the boot will slide completely onto one element allowing the other free movement. If you engineer an inch or two of slop, you loosen the bottom clamp and slide the lid up.  It will take pet jelly or something to make it slide well, but it will slide. 

4 hours ago, Matt Truiano said:

what do other people do for this? I know I'm not the only one with a super dust deputy. How else would you approach this.

I picked up some of this at my local Walmart in the Automotive section: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Heavy-Duty-Sewer-Hose-10/23636860

Mine's black instead of brown but I think it's only 3" diameter. It's also pretty easy to cut so you can section it up as you need. 

I direct-mounted the lid to the bottom of the SDD, and use some shims/wedges  *under* the barrel to lift it up into position.  When emptying it, I loosen the clamp first and then slide the wedges out to drop the barrel the inch or so. When I reinstall, i just reverse the procedure.  It works well and for me, as I didn't have to sacrifice any height with a transition pipe since I'm a little height-constrained where I have the collector.