New Lathe

AndrewPritchard

It sounds like the General is a nice unit, but the company has ceased operation.  You might find one still in stock with a retailer, but I don't know about waranty support.  

Also the model might have been picked up by another vendor.  For example, woodworker's supply is selling a router table that is a dead ringer for the General router table.

15 minutes ago, Mark J said:

It sounds like the General is a nice unit, but the company has ceased operation.  You might find one still in stock with a retailer, but I don't know about waranty support.  

Also the model might have been picked up by another vendor.  For example, woodworker's supply is selling a router table that is a dead ringer for the General router table.

ok - we'll have to see what happens. Maybe the supplier will be able to direct me to a similar model.

So I guess if that one is in the conversation, the question now becomes, what is your budget?  We started off looking at 'economy' lathes, and have now stepped up.  There quite a number of excellent lathes at or below the price of the general one.  I would hesitate on it just from a warranty stand point if there's nobody behind it any more. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marmotjr said:

So I guess if that one is in the conversation, the question now becomes, what is your budget?  We started off looking at 'economy' lathes, and have now stepped up.  There quite a number of excellent lathes at or below the price of the general one.  I would hesitate on it just from a warranty stand point if there's nobody behind it any more. 

At the beginning of the year, I said to myself I was going to try and make my hobbies pay for themselves. This has included a number of upgrades which I would love to get, including my lathe (which I got for free!). I recently completed a prototype for an Interesting Wall Sconce, which a friend of mine is now considering commissioning. When he first said he was interested, I thought he meant just a few of them where I might be able to afford maybe an $800 lathe. Turns out he's considering over 40 of them, which puts me into the $2000 - $3000 range. Especially as he would also like wooden bowls for the same venture. This would put me into a completely different class of lathe.

My current lathe will do what he needs - for now. But it's not the best piece of kit in the world. I turned a couple of pieces yesterday perhaps 2-3 hours of turning and the headstock was getting quite warm to the touch - which implies to me that the bearings are not the best quality in the world and that there is significant heat building up.

I agree that buying General right now is probably not a good idea. I would like for this to be the last lathe I buy, or at least for it to last me 10 - 20 years. Especially if I'm investing $2k-$3k in it!

• Like 1

OK, I admit it.  This thread got me thinking about a new lathe, so I've been doing some looking around.  Here's some more info.

Rikon has a new lathe coming Model 70-306 (110V) and 70-305 (220V ).  These have some nice features.  1.5 HP; reversible DVR; swiveling head; 16" swing over bed (12" over banjo); 42" between centers.  https://www.rikontools.com  I was told to expect the MSRP to be about $2K US.  

Unfortunately they will not be available until late fall.  May be worth waiting for, but too late for the 15% off RIkon sale, which by the way is only at Woodcraft, and unfortunately no Woodcraft is not in Canada. 

3 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Unfortunately they will not be available until late fall.  May be worth waiting for, but too late for the 15% off RIkon sale, which by the way is only at Woodcraft, and unfortunately no Woodcraft is not in Canada. 

Hmmm.... makes one wonder if spouses could be convinced that 15% savings is worth a road trip.   Dunno bout import taxes and what not, but maybe a weekend vacation to Buffalo or Cleveland might be in the works.....   Neither of which are really worth a vacation, but hey, it's a lathe. 

I suppose I should blame @AndrewPritchard.  I mean it is his fault for starting this thread.  But then the idea got legs.  

Literally four of them. Cast Iron.  

'Cause yesterday evening my wife and I went out and bought a new lathe.

We bought the Nova 1624 Type II that Woodcraft has on sale ($850 US).  They had sold the one unit they had in stock earlier in the day so we had to special order it.  It should be in next week.  

I am not sure what this would be in Lunies, but it has a lot of features for the regular price (1000 bucks), and especally so when on sale.  

It is belt drive with 8 pulleys, but there is a DVR upgrade available for $630.  We're going to see if we can't live happily enough changing pulleys for a while.

I'm excited and looking forward to setting it up.  Although a certain part of my brain is a little curious about how the rest of me plans to get this thing from the store and into my basement.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

According to the instructions this ensemble is 160 lbs.  The manual kept talking about "the other man" as in lift this with the other man.  I looked all through that box and couldn't find that other man.   Musta fallen out in shipment.  

hehehehehehe.

Remind me again how big this is?  On the floor, it looks like a mini/midi lathe. 

And the DVR addition, is it an attachment to the pulley system, or does it replace the pulleys?  If it doesn't replace the pulleys, then I'd imagine you'd be stuck in a set of speed ranges.   Of course, that could be a good thing.