"Pivot Pin" for circle jig

Richiep

Hey All,
I'm going to be building a circle jig for my bandsaw and I'll need some sort of "pivot pin" to mount the stock on.  I've seen variations of this where some use a wooden dowel and other use some kind of metal pin.  I'd prefer to use metal because you use a smaller diameter and still get the strength.  My question is what kind of metal should I use for this pin?  Where can I source it?

Thanks
Rich

I just use a 6 penny finish nail, that I cut the head off of.  Almost any kind of pin will work.  My jig has been in use for decades. It's as simple as possible.  I have a line drawn where when the jig stops against the stop on the front edge of the table, the line is perpendicular to the cutting edge of the blade I use for cutting circles.  I just make a new hole where I need one, and if I bend the nail pulling it out, I just use another one.

I just use a wood screw at the desired pivot point, driven up through the jig into the center point of the stock to be cut, but not driven in all the way, so the stock is easy to rotate. With it located in line, front to back, with the blade teeth of the band saw, the cut is very easy and never fails.

If I cut the circles with my router I like to use my CRB7 jig. I can cut circles from 3/4" up to almost 48" with it. I usually use a 1/4" up spiral and a zero clearance insert in the router when doing this. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43000,51208&p=72252

Charley