Name your favorite wood if cost didn't matter...

Sawdustdad

4 hours ago, Unknown craftsman said:

For me its old growth Douglas fir for its stability. Cedar of Lebanon for its smell and Claro walnut for it great looks. Unfortunatly I'm sensitive to walnut dust so I'm not sure I can use it anymore.

Ive been working with some euro beech that's very interesting but kinda plain.

Aj

I have used euro beech lately too, it is nice enough, but I kind of prefer the plain look for certain things.

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

If it's worth making, it's worth making out of walnut.

Lol. What's your source though? Good stuff is harder to come by these days. I might make the drive to a couple places in LA soon.

I got into woodworking to make myself a desk. Still haven't done that. But anyway... I remember thinking that I'd definitely want to make an oak desk. Oak to me was what "fine furniture" meant. At a time when I couldn't identify a wood species if my life depended upon it - I finally saw walnut and said, "holy hell." It was love at first sight. I'm sure I saw walnut before, but I never noticed it. I'm sure everyone has the same thing, once you start, you start noticing what different things are made of, the joinery, grain matching, etc. 

So yeah, it's still walnut for me. 

Guys guys guys. Enough with the comments about women. Please refrain from posting pictures of women as if this is your highschool locker. And absolutely DO NOT post pictures of women as your profile wallpaper. In fact, if anyone else has an image like that in their profile, please remove it or I will. This was incredibly embarrassing. 

On 9/27/2017 at 9:27 AM, wdwerker said:

With price no object that king sized cocobolo bed Mel mentioned becomes a possibility !

I don't want one.. I just want to sell one. :)

Although, I suspect the profit margin would be greater on a maple or cherry one. But it would look good in my portfolio :) 

On 9/29/2017 at 11:39 PM, thewoodwhisperer said:

Guys guys guys. Enough with the comments about women. Please refrain from posting pictures of women as if this is your highschool locker. And absolutely DO NOT post pictures of women as your profile wallpaper. In fact, if anyone else has an image like that in their profile, please remove it or I will. This was incredibly embarrassing. 

Sorry about the profile wallpaper and my apologies to those that were offended and embarrassed, I just wasn't thinking!