Lee Valley Vacuum Clamp System - For Sanding Wood

AceHoleInOne

Anyone have any thoughts on this or use something like this?

Lee Valley Vacuum Clamp System

It's frustrating sanding wood and having it move around on the bench. Using clamps sucks big time/ moving pads are so, so. I haven't tried the hockey pucks either. I currently use a roll of rubber backing for floor rugs, but they get dusty and lose their grip then have hassle of wash them out to get sticky again. 

-Ace-

I've been vacuum clamping for over 30 years. My rig is cobbled together & mostly homemade. I've been eyeing this sort of vacuum pods for several years as possibly easier than making my own jigs. I use an ancient Gast rotary vane pump that sips oil but other than lasting over 40 years & being fully manual it's still the same process. I added a foot pedal about 10 years ago and it has made a major difference. 

Sit the part on the vacuum pod, step on the foot pedal and it grabs in seconds. If the part has a rougher surface or slight twist/warp downward pressure usually gets it to grab. Sand , route, machine with no clamps in the way. Step on the pedal and there may be a second or two delay until the vacuum releases. I can clamp & route a 8" x 24" laminate shelf and release it in under a minute. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

I've been vacuum clamping for over 30 years. My rig is cobbled together & mostly homemade. I've been eyeing this sort of vacuum pods for several years as possibly easier than making my own jigs. I use an ancient Gast rotary vane pump that sips oil but other than lasting over 40 years & being fully manual it's still the same process. I added a foot pedal about 10 years ago and it has made a major difference. 

Sit the part on the vacuum pod, step on the foot pedal and it grabs in seconds. If the part has a rougher surface or slight twist/warp downward pressure usually gets it to grab. Sand , route, machine with no clamps in the way. Step on the pedal and there may be a second or two delay until the vacuum releases. I can clamp & route a 8" x 24" laminate shelf and release it in under a minute. 

Sounds fantastic. Do you happen to have a pic?

9 minutes ago, Llama said:

I've been looking at these for a while. First link is similar to the LV ones. The second link, is... well... badass! 

https://www.vacupress.com/product/vacuclamp-vacuum-pods-clamps/

http://rangate.com/products/barth-lift-table-500v

Exactly what I'm getting. Ordering a full vacupress setup in a few weeks. Looks like awesome stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 12:58 PM, Llama said:

Let me know how loud it is. Not that it's a deal breaker, but it's my main concern. 

On 9/23/2017 at 1:03 PM, shaneymack said:

Have you seen this? I'm pretty sure Guy runs the pump in this video.  

We have a few of these at work that are used for large composite lamination's. Works great, cycles for hours. Its the green one one the page. It can be a tad loud while on, but if you have a good seal with no leaks, the cycling on and off is minimal. 

http://www.vacuum-press.com/pumps.html

• Like 2

Rotary vane pumps make a whirring sound but it's no where near the sound of a compressor. They can be pricey but mine is over 50 years old and hasn't needed anything but the occasional cleaning. At least every few months it runs 7-8 hours a day for 2 weeks. If you are going to be vacuum clamping get a foot pedal valve, you have both hands free to change parts and click the pedal to turn on the vacuum. A few years ago I built a vacuum resivour which helps pull down parts that aren't perfectly flat, those don't seal at first and may need to be pushed down for a second. A resivour also helps smaller pumps pull down a vacuum bag for veneering. It's just a 8' piece of 6" heavy wall pvc with 2 caps ( the thick domed ones) drilled and tapped a hole for a brass fitting for the vacuum. 

• 4 weeks later...

Also look at Rockler for vacuum clamping, but you can  get closed cell foam Weatherstrip  and make your own vacuum chucks  from Baltic Birch ply, HDPE, phenolic, etc.. You will probably want 3/4 thick or better to put the fittings and internal passages in it.  Harbor Freiight sells vacuum pumps much cheaper, so consider them if your budget is tight. I'm using an old refrigeration service vacuum pump and shop made vacuum chucks. Make sure that you put a filter in the line to keep debris out of your vacuum pump. A compressed air filter is adequate, but make certain that the arrow points toward the vacuum pump.With 20" or more of vacuum, you won't be able to pry the project off  a 4" round or square chuck, unless you turn off the vacuum and let air back into the chuck, or use a pry bar.

I have made several vacuum chucks from Baltic Birch and closed cell foam Weatherstrip. I have also sealed the drum lid of my dust collector with it. I put it on the underside of the lid where the top edge of the steel drum hits it. Never a leak, and the lid is just sitting there, held in place by the vacuum. The lid is made from two pieces of 3/4" birch ply with caulking between them. The bottom layer of plywood is sized to slip into the drum. The top layer is 2" larger in diameter, and the Weatherstrip is attached under this larger piece, so it seals between the drum lip and the plywood. A Dust Deputy is mounted to a hole in the center of these circles of birch plywood, also sealed with caulking between the Dust Deputy base and the top piece of plywood, but it could also have been this closed cell Weatherstrip. No leaks in almost 3 years of use.

Charley