PLEASE HELP !!!!

Marco Divetta

Hi guys and gals, I'm in serious need of some knowledge ...having a major issue with a skateboard glue up 

It's my first skateboard but not my first bent wood lamination, I'm on my second attempt and the glue keeps failing !!..it's as if it's not drying but I gave it a sold 48 hours the second time round ... It's just turning rubbery ... I've done way more intricate pieces than a skateboard before but nothing as wide and I'm hoping it's just drying time.

I'm using gorilla glue wood glue ( titebond not easily available in Ireland ), I'm applying a good amount with a roller onto both surfaces and on my second attempt made sure that the whole thing was clamped within 7 minutes ... I'm using wallnut in case that has something to do with it ( I know not the norm but I have loooooads of it )

IMG_20170930_135119.jpg

IMG_20170930_134926.jpg

IMG_20170930_134940.jpg

What's the temperature in your shop?

Wood glue isn't that great for bent laminations.  Can you get Unibond 800?  Probably not...it has formaldehyde in it.  But that's what you should use if you can get it.  Something that dries hard.  Call the guys at Axminster and see what they recommend for you European types.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Marco Divetta said:

@Eric. Do you think cascamite might do the trick ?... It's the only thing locally available 

Probably.  They use it in boat building so it's probably tough as hell, and it's gap-filling.  A quick google turned up a couple comments about using it for bent lams.  I don't know anything about it though so I can't say for sure.

You want an extremely hard glue for bent lams, which is why plastic resin glues like Unibond are recommended.  The harder the glue, the less springback you'll get.  Epoxy would probably work but it's not ideal.

All that aside, I think your wood glue issues are probably temperature or age related.  Even if wood glue isn't ideal for bent lams it should still cure properly.  12*C isn't THAT cold but it might be cold enough to cause issues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All PVA type glues ( white & yellow glues) can creep slowly so it is not recommended for any bent laminations. Age, temperature , mold, algae, fungus and contaminates can lead to glue failure. I've learned to glue up a test block from scraps if using glue that might be questionable. But you need to find a different glue with a ridgid character.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Probably.  They use it in boat building so it's probably tough as hell, and it's gap-filling.  A quick google turned up a couple comments about using it for bent lams.  I don't know anything about it though so I can't say for sure.

You want an extremely hard glue for bent lams, which is why plastic resin glues like Unibond are recommended.  The harder the glue, the less springback you'll get.  Epoxy would probably work but it's not ideal.

All that aside, I think your wood glue issues are probably temperature or age related.  Even if wood glue isn't ideal for bent lams it should still cure properly.  12*C isn't THAT cold but it might be cold enough to cause issues.  

Do you think I'll have to leave it clamped up for a few days because it's a wide piece ( 8 inches ) ... For the water to evaporate ? 

5 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

All PVA type glues ( white & yellow glues) can creep slowly so it is not recommended for any bent laminations. Age, temperature , mold, algae, fungus and contaminates can lead to glue failure. I've learned to glue up a test block from scraps if using glue that might be questionable. But you need to find a different glue with a ridgid character.

Is titebond 3 a type of PVA glue ?... That seems to be what everyone's using to make skateboards 

5 minutes ago, Marco Divetta said:

Do you think I'll have to leave it clamped up for a few days because it's a wide piece ( 8 inches ) ... For the water to evaporate ? 

Specs state 6 hours cure time, temperature-dependent.  I'd leave it in the form for 24 hours just to be safe.  I also saw that it mentioned laminating as one of its uses, so it would probably work for you.  I think it's primarily used as an industrial-grade waterproof outdoor adhesive.

Yes TB3 is PVA.  It's "waterproof" but doesn't dry hard enough to be ideal for bent lam.  People use it for skateboards because they don't know any better, not because it's the best option.

• Thanks 1

I just read up on casamite. It's a  modified version of urea formaldehyde glue which should be perfect for your project. Please do a small practice run before you invest time and materials in the full blown piece.

If Titebond 3 is what other skateboard builders are using that's also worth a shot if you can get it. 24-36 hours in clamps can't hurt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I just read up on casamite. It's a  modified version of urea formaldehyde glue which should be perfect for your project. Please do a small practice run before you invest time and materials in the full blown piece.

If Titebond 3 is what other skateboard builders are using that's also worth a shot if you can get it. 24-36 hours in clamps can't hurt.

I'm going to try the cascamite and just forget about it in the clamps for a few days .... Didn't realise I was this impatient 

Thanks guys ... I appreciate the help 

Just spit balling here but bent lams I have done are for furniture and are not subject to constant bending like a skateboard.  I would think the glue you would need would have to be strong enough for the laminations but not too brittle to break down with the constant flexing of the skateboard.  That may be why others use the titebond III in this particular application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know a whole lot about skateboards, but I know something about boat building.

If epoxy is not ideal for bent laminations, then the boat I have that's about 30 years old is going to fall apart any day now.  

Epoxy is ideal for your use.  At 13 degrees, you'll want to use the fast hardener.

You'll need to keep it in the clamps about 12 hours or so.  It's important to understand that epoxy cures via catalyst.  The liquid turns to a solid via chemical reaction, not by drying.

For what you are doing, The absolute easiest thing would be to pick up a tube with the resin and hardener already inside.  It comes with a mixing nozzle, and it has some thickener already inside.  It fits in a standard caulking gun.  When you are done with it, you can leave the nozzle on until next time, then remove it and put on a new one... The epoxy will not cure in the tube.

At about the six hour point (maybe less, it's temperature dependent) check the squeeze out.  If it's still a little soft, maybe tacky, you can scrape the squeeze out off easily.  

For more info, go to the Gougeon Brothers web site.  They have a free PDF download of their book on using it for boat building.  It also speaks to using their systems for making wind turbine blades.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Don Z. said:

I don't know a whole lot about skateboards, but I know something about boat building.

If epoxy is not ideal for bent laminations, then the boat I have that's about 30 years old is going to fall apart any day now. 

This is a short but fairly dense article that explains why WS epoxy may be ideal for boat building (and possibly skateboards) but possibly not furniture (it's my understanding that you want to use a glue that is very hard in furniture laminations to reduce springback).  It discusses flexibility, elongation, stress, creep, ultimate properties, yield properties and toughness.

http://epoxy-it.com/ss/understanding-flexible-properties-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric. said:

This is a short but fairly dense article that explains why WS epoxy may be ideal for boat building (and possibly skateboards) but possibly not furniture (it's my understanding that you want to use a glue that is very hard in furniture laminations to reduce springback).  It discusses flexibility, elongation, stress, creep, ultimate properties, yield properties and toughness.

http://epoxy-it.com/ss/understanding-flexible-properties-2

Thanks for sharing! Very informative.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...