Redwood lumber stability

tfreeman

Hi All.

I am rebuilding a pair of front french doors 80" x 36" each door - picture a pair of glass doors with 5" x 1.75" redwood frames. I purchased rough cut clear heart vertical grain redwood full 2" x 6" x ~86". It arrived at the suppliers shop in June. The supplier (main business is custom molding) planed the rough boards down to 1.75" thickness for me. 4 months later - after sitting outside in the carport I am actually going to use them now. the wood is still dead flat in the planed dimension - beautiful! However, they are all crooked 3/16" to 3/8" over 86" length (see pic). My question is if I cut them square on the table saw will they just crook again? My hunch is they were probably crooked and had reached stability when they arrived at the suppliers and they had probably done all the warping/crooking they were going to before he planed them down to 1.75" - so whatever I cut/mill them to now will be stable dims from now on...?

crook small.jpg

You are probably fine if the material has acclimated to where you are going to do the assembly.  I'm not sure where you are but, setting material on a carport, even in my dry desert basin, for that long would require a week or so of re-acclimation once brought into the shop.  After that, I am pretty confident with any 10%-ish MC material.  I would still rip it wide to allow yourself a little wiggle room for any relieve stress over that long dimension.

My only concern is that redwood is so soft. Make sure when you drill pilots for screws that they are properly sized.  If you remove the screws and drip some epoxy into the hole then repilot after it dries it will greatly reduce the chance of stripping screws out. Steel screws ( even coated ones)  or hardware will stain redwood black. Brass or stainless is the way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...