Quality Brand Big Power Tools and recommendations

bushwacked

For any of the Canadians out there - does anyone have any experience with the CWI tools that are sold by Canadian Woodworker?  I've been looking for a bandsaw, and their Stallion saws look interesting.   What I have found online suggests they are just rebranded saws made in the same Asian factories as all the rest.

https://www.canadianwoodworker.com/webstore/wecs.php?store=wood&action=display&target=CWI-B1611

7 hours ago, kyokahn said:

I would say: Absolutely! People buying a dewalt TS are looking for a small jobsite saw and accept its limitations. They do a lot of things right and I think their rack and pinion fence should be adopted by many other companies. But it cannot increase its table surface area, it'll never have the same stability and rigidity or a full size saw and it will be noisy compared to the ridgid or a Delta. That's just not what its buyers are looking for.

Both Delta and Ridgid had trunion alignment issues, which at least Ridgid worked out and made right for old customers, but I'd be hard pressed to find a better overal, full size table saw than the Ridgid for $500, at least not a new one. Too bad they bumped the price on their jointer so much and never made a matching full size planer or drum sander hahah

Did Ridgid fix all the alignment issues. I swear every review I read was a bad one and every one of them talked about the fence being off up to an 1/8” and the trunion out of 90* issues. 

On 11/24/2017 at 7:08 AM, BillyDoubleU said:

Did Ridgid fix all the alignment issues. I swear every review I read was a bad one and every one of them talked about the fence being off up to an 1/8” and the trunion out of 90* issues. 

Yeah, couple years ago they started sending them out with a completely new trunion. The fences seemed more like an issue of QA rather than design, mine came within 1/16 front to back and fairly easy to adjust. Craftsman and another local brand picked up the same saw and stopped selling them before the issues were fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from brand I would also investigate the specific model itself along with the year of manufacture.  When I my first big boy saw saw 8+ years ago it was a craftsman hybrid saw.  Even by that time the brand's reputation was not very good, to say the least.  And alot (most) of your tablesaws were poop.  But they did have a higher end line (I believe) were designed by Emerson.  The zip code saws as they were called, because the model numbers were that of city zip codes, were very well made and were one of the best saws for that price range.  I absolutely loved my 22124 and did everything I wanted.

As stated many of the older tools are better made, using better components.  That's why when you see something on cl, take a second and look up not only the model tool but the year it was made.  It may not be exactly the same tool they sell today.  I just bought a 2008  Laguna LT16HD at an estate sale last weekend (stealth gloat) and I notice it has a Baldor motor and made in Italy.  But looking at the current saw on Laguna website it has a Leeson motor.  I believe the Blador is available but extra.

I make my choices on what ever is the best deal on craigslist :)  Depending on your location you can get some amazing deals.