Quality Brand Big Power Tools and recommendations

bushwacked

I was curious ....

i have seen tons of should I get PM or Grizzly (insert name of tool) 

however why does it seem most people not asking about jet or delta in the which I should buy? Is jets price point too close to PM and hurts them because people just go cheap or all out? 

Ive always considered the rank as 

PM ... Jet ... delta ...  grizzly / shopfox ... rigid

I think it depends on a handful of factors.  New or used, which tool is in question, "I can buy this, but if I get this instead I can get this too", etc.

The new Delta is not the Delta of yesteryear.  The DJ-20 has a whole host of clones available now at all price points, and that is one example.  The current Delta jointer offerings, whelp, I'll end this sentence now...  

My opinion is that Jet prices are way too close to Powermatic anymore, yet, for many examples the quality isn't there.  My local dealer sells Jet, but only has a couple dust collectors and one bandsaw on display.  They have the whole Powermatic line, minus tablesaws.  I asked about this and he told me that based on warranty issues and callbacks (they service what they sell) he urges people to get the Powermatics.  

Which brings up another point-- am i the only one that thinks the Powermatic tablesaws are overpriced?  I know they're very nice saws, I've used a number of different offerings, but SawStops are easily as nice and the brake puts it over the top.  All for a very similar price.  

I guess for this ... I mean more of buying new and getting the main staples ... like tablesaw, jointer, planer bandsaw ... the major purchases ...

Hmmm interesting that he gets a lot of Jet back to work on. I figured the price being too close to PM could be the main breaking point for most.

Yes I agree the PM tablesaw is crazy to be priced there with the sawstop. 

I upgraded to a Jet ts a few years back and as long as my blades are sharp, it has done everything I’ve asked of it. But at my age, my expectations are probably lower than years ago when I could stay up all night doing things that it takes me all night to do now;)

• Haha 1

Fastev I think pretty well hit it on the head, some of the companies are what they used to be.

Also when it comes to shopping for tools you can fall of the rails if you try to make you shop one color.  I am not saying that a shop of weird yellow would be bad.  I just think you have to shop with a plan at the time you are looking for a particular tool.  How much will you us it in your work flow, what are your expectations for it and the budget at the time of the need.  And we have all heard the "buy once cry once" sermon but that isn't always a viable option especially for newbs.  I am at a point in time personally that what I buy now will be the last time, most likely, for that tool and most of them are replacements for the first tools I bought and the budget was smaller at the time.  My shop is a rainbow of colors.  SawStop, Laguna 1412 Bandsaw.  Incra Router Table and Fence,  Bosch 12 inch Glide Miter Saw,  Dewalt 735 Planer,  SuperMax 19-38Drum Sander,  20 year old Grizzly Jointer (soon to be replaced) and a Penn State industries Dust Collector.  Another factor for what I buy is it has to be 110. 

3 hours ago, fastev said:

am i the only one that thinks the Powermatic tablesaws are overpriced?

Maybe i have a PM table saw and to get the comparable size with a similar quality fence it was $900 more. Now step into the 3hp saws and the price is a lot closer but i personally think the PM200 competes more with the ICS than the PCS quality wise and there the price is $1100 more for SS. I've had the ability to play with the PM2000 side by side with the PCS. Maybe it's the flashy black and red paint that screams teenage rice burner to me idk but they seem cheap.

I really enjoy my PM tools. I think Sawstop is over priced and gets too much hype. Personally i think all these American companies don't compete with the eurokits but that's a whole different conversation.

Just a gentle reminder...

OP was just asking why certain brands aren't mentioned here when people ask for advice on purchases of major power tools.  It is fine to mention your personal feelings for a brand purchase but lets make sure that this doesn't end up being another heated discussion of table saws that ends up getting locked once again.  We all buy tools for different reasons and lets respect that.

I don't see Jet's prices being too close to Powermatic.  PM 1500 is $3000  The Jet version is $1800.  PM 18" drill press $1400.  Jet 17" drill press $750.  We're talking almost double the price on comparable machines.  Powermatic machines have some absolutely brutal reviews on Amazon so it's not like they are immune to quality control issues themselves.  But being higher priced they don't get the volume of reviews to balance things out.  And then there's the color...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mat60 said:

I really think a Chevy is a much better truck than a Ford.

Now you have opened a rather large container of annelids.  Off topic but I have never had any luck with any GM products.

What is your budget for power tools?  Does the factory make more than one brand?  Made in China or where is it made?  Lots of things to consider in buying power tools.  One person can buy a particular brand and have great luck.  Another buys the exact same item and has nothing but trouble! 

Jet does seem to get left out a lot. I think Ridgid is included a lot because they actually sell a decent table saw, jointer and planer. Are there any other brands that sell in a big box store with that available?

I agree that you should buy the best tool, not your favorite color except for routers. Apparently Dewalt, Bosch, Makita and Milwaukee all make great routers and then the Festools are even better.

For me brand is one of the last things to come into the equation. First I look at functionality, how will it work for the typical projects I make. Next I look at specs with the first being power, footprint, and price if those don't work not much sense in drooling over a great tool I will never buy. Once I have those figured out I look at what's available in the marketplace and typically I have the buy once cry once mentality. Even if I decide to sell it later I find that quality where quality counts makes some financial sense as well. Then I start reading opinions and reviews I take most with a grain of salt but if you read enough you will start to see common themes that you have to determine if for your use are a problem. Ultimately in my opinion you have to start somewhere for instance once you have that first bandsaw it will not take you long to determine what features you would really like to have if you ever upgrade. Although I love awesome shop tours and amazing tools what really impresses me is the woodworker who creates a masterpiece with what I would consider subpar tools that's what its all about to me :) 

9 hours ago, krtwood said:

I don't see Jet's prices being too close to Powermatic.  PM 1500 is $3000  The Jet version is $1800.  PM 18" drill press $1400.  Jet 17" drill press $750.  We're talking almost double the price on comparable machines.  Powermatic machines have some absolutely brutal reviews on Amazon so it's not like they are immune to quality control issues themselves.  But being higher priced they don't get the volume of reviews to balance things out.  And then there's the color...

The only thing I see thats comparably priced between PM and Jet are jointers. Their 6" jointers, whether helical head or not, are only $100-150 apart. The 8's are only around $300 apart. And from what Eric told me, the Jets are closer to Grizzly in quality, rather than PM like the price point. Cant speak to the point myself, I own neither, just putting this out there. 

45 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

The only thing I see thats comparably priced between PM and Jet are jointers. Their 6" jointers, whether helical head or not, are only $100-150 apart. The 8's are only around $300 apart. And from what Eric told me, the Jets are closer to Grizzly in quality, rather than PM like the price point. Cant speak to the point myself, I own neither, just putting this out there. 

I looked at the Jet and Powermatic 6" models... The Powermatic has a longer bed, and a much more substantial fence.   For  $100 more.   

I'm planning on getting the PM54A next spring to replace my Jet 8" benchtop combo monstrosity. :-)

32 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I looked at the Jet and Powermatic 6" models... The Powermatic has a longer bed, and a much more substantial fence.   For  $100 more.   

I'm planning on getting the PM54A next spring to replace my Jet 8" benchtop combo monstrosity. :-)

Im gonna have a hard time not getting a PM 6" this Black Friday with the 10% off. Only thing holding me back are the hugely long beds that are gonna take up alot of my little bit of space left in my shop, but I need a jointer and really only want a PM. I was looking at Jet for quite a while, but for only $100 more, I could have a Powermatic.

24 minutes ago, woodbutcher said:

Im gonna have a hard time not getting a PM 6" this Black Friday with the 10% off. Only thing holding me back are the hugely long beds that are gonna take up alot of my little bit of space left in my shop, but I need a jointer and really only want a PM. I was looking at Jet for quite a while, but for only $100 more, I could have a Powermatic.

Do it. Those 6" machines seem so small after I've been using an 8" parallelogram model. One thing that isn't often mentioned is the number of cutters on the head. The jet HH only has 27 cutters vs 40 on the PM. I guess i don't know if your thinking HH or strait knives.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Do it. Those 6" machines seem so small after I've been using an 8" parallelogram model. One thing that isn't often mentioned is the number of cutters on the head. The jet HH only has 27 cutters vs 40 on the PM. I guess i don't know if your thinking HH or strait knives.

Oh interesting ... I wonder why the fewer cutterheads? Can’t be saving that much money for getting a lesser quality cut I would assume. 

38 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Cant for the life of me decide which I want. I dont work with much figured material, so dont need the HH for that. But. I am considering the cost of sharpening/replacing the straight knives over time, and ease of resetting. From all Ive heard, the HH comes out ahead in both cases. But is it worth the extra $400 up front? 

Not sure Ridgid fits in that list. Sure, there's no real competition around the $500 for their table saw and jointer, but they don't even have a high end. Dewalt would have a better shot at competing on planers i think, but again, no real high end there either.

Laguna belongs in that list IMO.