Resaw King in a Grizzly

Larry Moore

I just installed a Resaw King in my 17"  Grizzly and wanted to let Kevin and anyone else with the same saw we have how it worked.

I had to back off a stop screw at the top of the tension adjuster to get it to move up far enough to tighten the 132" blade, Other than that it tensioned ok. The cut is fantastic but the cheap throat plate does not like the down pressure, I had to make sure to put a lot of down pressure on the piece till it got across the opening and was supported by the table. 

20171127_164308.jpg

• Like 1

I think I've tried every resaw blade there is.   If you don't have a saw large enough to tension a Woodmaster CT (carbide tipped) 1.3 TPI, the Resaw King is the blade to get. 

The smallest size that the Woodmaster comes in is 1", and it's a thick blade.  I think a 20" saw is the smallest one that the Woodmaster will work on, and then it needs to be a good one that can tension it to at least 25K.

When a 14" was the only bandsaw I had, I could have saved myself a lot of money by only gettiing a Resaw King for resawing, without buying anything else.  

Just got my 3rd RK blade in last night. 1 I broke on a screw 1 broke and was replaced by warranty the warranty blade was bad out of the box. Did i say 3rd? I meant 4th. This shouldn't speak on the quality of the blade I think i over tensioned and broke it but they very kindly still replaced it.

That's why I said I could have saved money by getting the RK to start with.  I resisted spending that much money for too long, while wearing out enough inferior, non CT blades to have long ago paid for it.

That said, the Woodmaster CT produces at least as good a surface as the RK, but it probably 20 times faster.  You just can't tension it on anything less than a 20", and the cut is smoother, and faster still on a strong 24".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That's why I said I could have saved money by getting the RK to start with.  I resisted spending that much money for too long, while wearing out enough inferior, non CT blades to have long ago paid for it.

That said, the Woodmaster CT produces at least as good a surface as the RK, but it probably 20 times faster.  You just can't tension it on anything less than a 20", and the cut is smoother, and faster still on a strong 24".

Lenox does make that 1/2" carbide blade as well can't remember the model name. If i was not dealing with warranty replacements i'd consider going that route.

I tried other 1/2" CT blades on my 14" saw too, but none were quite as good as the RK.   I never used them to amount to anything, and sold them for not much of a loss.  I sold the RK too, after I bought the 24" saw, never intending to resaw anything on the 14" again.  As far as I know, the smallest size that the Woodmaster comes in is 1", and is several times as thick as the RK, not even including tooth set.