Segmented Snowflake Ornament

krtwood

This was originally going to be a turned segmented ornament.  I sized a snowflake so that the lines were 1/8" thick to match the kerf of the table saw which made the snowflake around 2"

1) I grossly, completely, and utterly underestimated how much material I was going to need to make 4 ornaments.

2)  "                                                                                 "  how dang big the thing was going to end up.  It didn't help that it grew slightly in the cutting.

So I revised the plan to make it sort of snowflake shields around a turned piece with six spokes coming out of it.  Even then I had to make them much thinner than I would have liked but I pulled it off.  I used double-sided tape to hold them to a block so I could sand them on the edge sander.  This worked great, except after I did the second side when I pulled the tape off the other side it left residue.  Wiping that off with alcohol made the bloodwood bleed all over the maple so I sanded it some more with the ROS which was not fun and only kind of worked.  That in turn left burnished spots on the other side which I then got to hand sand.  It was one thing after another!

Also turning 24 of those spindles was tons of fun.  Especially the 6 I did in the dark.  Somebody needs to make a set of wrenches that are actually the dimension they say they are, and not slightly bigger to fit over that dimension easily.  

Merry Christmas!

• Like 2