My Modern Desk Build

Jayson

Hi Woodtalk community,

Please let me know what you think about this project and especially let me know if their are any areas where I could improve, whether in woodworking, editing, etc. I'm all for constructive criticism and learning. This my first video and I plan to make more in the coming future. 

About Me

My name is Jayson and I have a passion for creating and designing things. I'm currently attending college for a degree in engineering. That's why i enjoy woodworking,etc. because it allows me to express my designs as real-life products. I hope you enjoy this video as much as i did making it! Thanks    

• Like 1

Hi Jayson! You've done a nice job with a very limited toolset, congratulations!

I suggest you search youtube for "circle saw guide" or "diy track saw". You did great, sawing straight lines by hand, but you'll find that a simple straight edge guide makes those cuts far more accurate and much easier. Definitely worth the time investment.

Jayson, unless you have a very specific need for portability, I suggest staying away from the bench top table saws you find at most home centers. At best, they are too small and underpowered for furniture-sized work. At worst, their inherent lack of rgidity and appallingly poor fence systems make the chances of you eventually becoming known as "Stubby" alarmingly high.

Do yourself a favor, and get at least a "contractor" saw with cast iron top and belt drive. And still use a circle saw guide to break sheet goods down to manageable size before taking them to the table saw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Your project turned out really nice. You said you were open to suggestions. When putting finish on a project it is much better to coat all surfaces whether they are seen or not. This allows for equal moisture movement. Your nice plywood desk might end up warping. Just a suggestion from experience.  

Okay thanks, yeah I suppose i was just being lazy haha, next time ill paint all surfaces

2 hours ago, TheAverageCraftsman said:

Nice build, Jayson.  I am so impressed by people like you that do this stuff with a circular saw and some drills.  I just don't have the patience for it.  Good build and good video.

Thanks, haha yeah it does take a lot of patience! i'm just doing what I can until I can get half the amount of tools you do lol. Im definitely going to be using your videos to help me as i expand my tool collection