Rotating Equipment Stand

Coop

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

I noticed in a picture from another thread that @jplemons has what looks like a similar flip top bench.

6DD228D0-93B5-4B54-B2C6-D1354F35B9E7.jpeg

How is that working out for you jp?

It's done the job pretty well, actually. I didn't do the best job on it, but it holds my planer and sander just fine. The top rotates when I need it to and it rolls out of the way easily. Overall, it was definitely worth the build and is a huge space saver for the small shop.

My fliptop (now serving duty in my dad's shop) was one of the best uses of time ever.  I made mine with one side being removable so I could place fasteners for different machines if things changed; they did.  It started with a chopsaw and a planer,

fliptop1.jpg.74554fc09ef70c25a3233470ba2e02ae.jpg

became a belt/disk sander and planer, became a spindle sander and planer.

56f7ed7a9d8b1_fliptop-2009flipping.thumb.jpg.45940ddab2be72b87e9e83f293b34d18.jpg

At dad's it has a DW735 and a Ridgid spindle belt sander on it.

• 1 month later...

I like the thought of the miter saw on one of these stands. I am planning a shop build, and my miter saw is on a Dewalt mobile stand (which is fine for rolling the thing around, but virtually useless for supporting long workpieces if the cuts need to be deadly accurate). It'd be something if I could figure out how to implement outfeed support that worked for both the Dewalt miter saw and Dewalt 735 planer...hmm.

I have so much stuff trying to be crammed into a 2 car shop, that even these wouldn't have worked for me.

I ended up making a flip-top bench (3'x5') shown in Wood Magazine #220 (09/13) a little over a year ago. I have most of my benchtop tools mounted to it, (planer, jointer, oscillating sander, drum sander, belt/disc sander & 1" belt sander).

It's worked well for me so far, with only some of the accessories from the Rigid oscillating sander not wanting to stay attached when upside down.

Chris

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood"