Dremel Rotary Tools?

Mark J

The flexible shaft of the Foredom style machines allows for a more powerful and longer lasting motor. There is some trade-off on manuverability, but not a huge amount. Many of the flexible shaft tools include a foot-operated variable speed controller also.

If small scale power carving is your thing, the flexible shaft machine would be my suggestion. Part of the reason the motors last longer is that they aren't right in the dust cloud.

If Foredom is a budgetary stretch, Harbor Freight sells one that gets a lot of good reviews.

If power carving on a slightly larger scale, the air powered die grinder is hard to beat.

The talk about die grinders made me think to look for something I hadn't thought about-electric die grinders.

This is what I needed, and didn't even know it existed:   https://www.cpooutlets.com/makita-gd0800c-1-4-in--variable-speed-die-grinder/mktngd0800c,default,pd.html?ref=pla&zmam=31282435&zmas=47&zmac=722&zmap=mktngd0800c&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2snUBRDfARIsAIGfpqFgNlwwXTKo1xOdgFHcEasn4vF4_UFZLrdggFAZ110AX20VMzXOFHcaAlNxEALw_wcB   edited to add: after looking at it, it's too big.....still looking

I'd like to have a smaller model, but haven't found a variable speed 3 amp, good one yet.

Makita does make a 1/8" collet

I'm still looking at the different ones.  I'll post a review after it comes, and I have time to play with it.

22 hours ago, Tom King said:

I'd like to have a smaller model, but haven't found a variable speed 3 amp, good one yet.

Makita does make a 1/8" collet

I'm still looking at the different ones.  I'll post a review after it comes, and I have time to play with it.

Thinking like you, a few years ago I purchased a used Craftsman 2.5 amp model and it is a beast. Although it is not as big as most die grinders, it is bulky, heavy, and LOUD. It is definitely not the heavy duty Dremel I wish some one would make. I wish some one would make a beefed up Dremel with a bit more power and torque with beefed up accessories. This while keeping it to a size that can still be controlled with one hand. I have a trim router that almost fits the description. So, I assume it can be done.

Exactly.    I haven't ordered anything yet.  I think maybe the variable speed must be a problem.  Makita makes what they call a compact die grinder that looks promising, but it's only one speed.  These 1/4" die grinders are just too big to get down close  to some things, and cut perpendicular with a cutoff wheel.

53 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Hmmm... trim router with collet extension, extra-long guide bushing, and a strap to hold it to your forearm.

Sounds like a new product to me, any patent attorneys in the house? :D

Hey! I thought of it first! :D  As a matter of fact, I have a 1/4" flex shaft. I may just hang it up like a Foredom and see how it works.:unsure:

I had not looked at the Dremel line for a long time until I started reading this thread. I note that they now have a model 4300 that has 50% more power (1.8 amps vs 1.2 amps) than the basic model. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with this model? Is the additional power noticeable in actual use?

• 2 months later...
I have had one for many years. And, like Gilgaron said, sometimes it is the only tool that will do the job. That said, keep in mind that the Dremel and other similar tools are for light duty use only. For instance, the little wire brushes will self destruct with anything more that the lightest touch on a rusty surface. For years, I have wished that someone would come out with a similar tool that is somewhere between the Dremel and the monster 1/4" die grinders.
While still a "monster", my old Makita 1/4" die grinder also came with a 1/8" collet. Being able to use it with Dremel accessories has come in handy on occassion. It is also single speed so I use it with a router speed control when slower speed is needed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk