Dremel Rotary Tools?

Mark J

I am in the midst of a project and I think a Dremel Rotary Tool might be the solution to a problem.  It's cheap enough that I might buy one today.  Any quick opinions  out there on these things?  Do they work?  Are they difficult to operate?  One model vs. another?  The 3000 seems reasonably priced.  The hardware store had a different model on sale for less, but I don't remember what it was.  

My first useful Dremel was bought shortly after I bought the 2 speed model which now acts as a standby.  The variable speed model allows you to tune operation to the material and cutter allowing smooth operation in many different situations.  The pencil-grip (detailer grip) handle is a worthwhile investment and can sometimes be found as part of a package deal at a lower price. 

The Dremel brand plunge base is so-so but, the Lee Valley version (while pricey) has proven itself useful again and again.  Value of accessories will vary with your requirements. A surprisingly useful accessory that came with a batch of bits was the little fan that replaces the collet nut; the darn thing actually works really well and is only a few bucks.

Their warranty service is really good, and the tool is useful.  I also enjoy the right angle attachment, most often used to turn it into a very small right angle drill.  A rotary tool will do a mediocre job at almost anything, which sounds like a put-down, but it also is the only tool that will work for some things.  I agree about the variable speed being very desirable. 

I have had one for many years. And, like Gilgaron said, sometimes it is the only tool that will do the job. That said, keep in mind that the Dremel and other similar tools are for light duty use only. For instance, the little wire brushes will self destruct with anything more that the lightest touch on a rusty surface. For years, I have wished that someone would come out with a similar tool that is somewhere between the Dremel and the monster 1/4" die grinders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

The one thing that I miss of all the Dremel or equivalent products are the felt wheels that were about the size of a quarter or nickel.  Now all they have are the little bitty felt wheels.  Anyone know of a source?

I see they have 1" wheels on Amazon.

As for the dremel, I've been through a few of them. 2 speed was OK, cordless was OK for light stuff. The multispeed is the way to go. They typically only last 2-3 years for me, so I don't buy top of the line. I do things with them that I probably shouldn't (aftermarket saw blades to trim subfloor for plumbing), so I understand why I kill them. They are really handy for things that require them.

The little Dremel diamond saw blades work really well for cutting tile, but you need as many motors as you do sawblades.  They last about the same amount of time.

Also, the same for the all purpose abrasive saw blade with the notches in it.  It took a new motor to cut off one piece of 4" ABS down inside a toilet flange, so the flange could be replaced.

I'm normally very easy on tools, and still have in use every Rockwell power tool I bought back in the mid 1970's, during the short amount of time when Rockwell owned Porter-Cable.

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

There was this guy on Amazon complaining about being unable to find screwdriver bits for his rotary tool.

Bwaaa-Haaa-Haaa.

There is a place for a Dremel, a place for a RotoZip and a place for an angle grinder.  If you use your Dremel as something it is not, it will fail.  Same basic thing happens when you use a chisel as a screwdriver or vice-versa :D

Sometimes the Dremel is the best tool for the job, but it's just not up to it, or at least not the new ones.  They will go  Phfftt without even getting warm first.   The old single speed one, that I think is from the '60's-belonged to my Uncle that died in 1982-has done more work than ten of the new ones, and is still going strong.

Sometimes I like using a Dremel in a house that people are living in, instead of something with a bigger blade, because we can catch all the dust with a Shop Vac while it's cutting, while cutting a really accurate line.

If the Dremel company sells a little pack of diamond wheel blades, a brand new motor should at least last through the whole package, and not just one wheel without even pushing it.

I believe Eric said the same thing a while back about the new ones.  I've had several, in the last few years, that didn't last but a couple of minutes, and those were abrupt endings to running like it should, without being pushed hard.

Sadly, like so many things, "they ain't what they used to be".

I've abused my Harbor Freight air die grinder for years, just give it a couple drops of oil before use. Of course a 5 hp 60 gallon compressor helps but if you turn the pressure down to as low as possible yet still get decent results a smaller compressor will work. Use it in bursts, the let the pressure build back up. Oh , by the way air tools are loud as hell !

Far more powerful than a whimpy dremel tool when you are sick of the bit stalling out on you. !

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Big difference in Foredom brand and Foredom style.  

$$$$

Understood. That's why I used the term "Foredom style". There are also different brand names in the "Dremel style". I was looking for some comparisons of both the "brand" and the copies.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

But using a flex shaft vs. a hand-held motor is no comparison. 

Can you elaborate? They look like two different tools designed to do the same or similar tasks by a slightly different methods. What makes one better?