Best finish for Slabs outside

JeepDad

This spring I am transforming our patio and grill area.  I am building a grilling and food station with coolers, cabinets, etc.....  I also want to build a farm house table with a slab top.  The slabs I will be using have been kiln dried and stored (by my wood guy) for a year or so.  I live in the Mid-Atlantic region that can have humid summers and cold/wet winters.  Which finish have you all used/tried that worked? 

Yhea I guess I left out too much information.......  One of those days where the brain is already had enough...

I am thinking of using either White Oak, Cyprus, or Blk Locust (if I can find).  It will be in the elements - during spring, summer, and fall - but covered in Winter.  And since I hope to use slabs with natural edges, I want to go with a more natural look.  

4 minutes ago, JeepDad said:

Great information.  Thanks.  Fine wood working article should help out.  

I used the Clear Penetrating EPoxy Sealer followed by a generic spar varnish (CPES for keeping stuff off the wood, spar varnish for that and UV protection.)

My application was a Western Red Cedar table that sits on a covered deck, getting only blown in rain and snow and partial direct sun.  It's been less than a year, but so far it still looks new.  I expect to have to repeat the spar varnish periodically.

Old saying is that log cabins used black locust as the sill plate because it lasted, on average, 2 years longer than stone.

Possibly no finish needed at all.

Cremona did that ginormous slab patio table from white oak, used CPES and Epiphanes, the pictures I saw after two years were indistinguishable from fresh finish.