Looking for beginner set of chisels

Matthew1980

I am just getting started in wood working and just wondering if anyone has a good set of chisels for sale out there. If not maybe what is a good mid level set to start out with. I am trying to decide between stanley 750, narex premium, or the two cherries set.

Thanks in advance 

Matthew.

49 minutes ago, Chet said:

Matthew, welcome to the forums.

Narex Chisels would be some nice ones to look at.  Their not expensive but they are not inexpensive either. they should fall right in you "mid Level" range.  One thing that I would recommend is get your chisels in metric increments instead of imperial.  with a 6 millimeter you can work inside a 1/4 mortise with out marring up the walls of you mortise.  Same thing with with 12 mm and 1/2 and 18mm and 3/4 inch.  and 6, 12, and 18mm would be three nice sizes to start with.  you don't need to go right after a full set.

If your just starting out one thing you want to learn is that woodworking isn't a low cost hobby,  and buying low end tools can be more frustrating then fun.

Thank you for your comment Chet. I personally don't buy cheap tools just wanted advice from experienced wood workers that have been around the block. My budget is around a 100 bucks for a small set. I am in the electrical trade and will not blink twice about purchasing a 60 dollar pair of pliers . I just have no idea on what brands are good and what to stay away from. I absolutely will not buy china.

I have a couple of sets of Narex chisels & am happy with them. For the price, they are a great value.

I makes good sense to just buy the ones you'll need rather than a whole set, but I have a goofy aversion to not having the full set, so that's how I buy them.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I like my narex mortising set. You’ll want to get at least one chisel for paring; I have one 1/4” paring chisel that works in any spot, for the most part. I forget the brand but it’s from Czechoslovakia. 

I also recommend Buck chisels; the folks who make the knives. If you have a $100 budget, you can’t go wrong with those.

i have a few $60 pliers and love my Snap-On tools too. 

• 3 months later...