ARM R seal

Planning on using satin finish as a wipe on finish.  How long do I need to let it dry between coats?  I have scrap white cotton fabric I was going to use as an application cloth.  This OK?  thanks.  Brian

Cotton like an old tee shirt works great.  You just want to make sure it doesn't give off any lint.  I wait overnight between coats. And mind the recommended temperatures when applying it.  You can go a little heavier on the first coat because it is going to soak in, and the last coat you want to lay it down real thin so it drys quickly before it can pick up any nibs in the air.  On my last coat I thin it 5 parts Arm R Seal to on part Mineral spirits this helps it dry quicker.  Sand lightly between coats with 400 grit and wipe it down with a micro fiber cloth before your next coat. 

• Like 1

Depends --- sorta like the underwear you'll be wearing when you get old. :P

Porous woods take longer than non porous woods to dry since they take the finish deep into the grain, thus taking longer to gas off. How thick of a coat you apply --  a cool shop -- will take it longer to dry. 

If it's a nice tight grain wood and you put a thin coat on and wipe it back and your shop is around 60 to 65 degrees. I would give it 24 hours. How to tell if its dry enough for a re-coat? Take some 320 grit sandpaper and give the surface a light wipe. If the finish powders up on the paper, your good to go. Sand between coats with 320 grit paper and go easy. All your doing is giving the surface a light wipe, due to the fact, you don't have enough finish down to sand. 

-Ace-

All of the above are good advice.  I will add to that thatIt should it should not feel tacky or cooler than any other surface in the shop.  I also whatch the first few strokes with the "between coat" sanding.  You should get fine white dust if its dry.  Great stuff.

2 hours ago, thatCharlieDude said:

I've used their salad bowl finish for several projects and the wait time has been between 4 to 12 hours. 

Yea, the salad bowl finish is sort of a diluted version so it should dry faster.

• Like 1

For me bringing it into the house where it's 70 I can get away with 12 hours but generally 24 hours.  I try to give it 36 hours in the winter when it's 50ish overnight in the shop.  If you feel any drag as you are wiping it then it hasn't been long enough but you can get away with it on small areas.