Don't Buy Plywood at Menards

woodbutcher74

Bought this sheet of 3/4" Maple ply at Menards this morning. $52.99. Looked OK at the yard but when I got home and started to break it down for a book shelf I am building it damn near exploded when I ripped it down on the tablesaw. It said it was B-C grade and made in the USA. Needless to say I took it back and the lady at the return desk asked what was wrong with it. Then she wanted to see the rest of the sheet. So I carried the rest of the pieces in and she wanted to exchange it. I told her no thanks.

IMG_20180429_155649943_HDR (1).jpg

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, woodbutcher74 said:

I've never seen a sheet de-laminate this bad. It's almost like it only got glue around the edges.

Ok crap, first thought was that it was one piece on top of another. Bad either way but that’s way worse. I bet that was a bi*#h cutting. 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Ok crap, first thought was that it was one piece on top of another. Bad either way but that’s way worse. I bet that was a bi*#h cutting. 

Same here. If that's one piece that is fully delaminate, in get it. I thought it was two, that bowed a bit

I know things happen with everything mass produced. I was kind of venting on Menards. Drive 30 miles and back to pick it up and a good part of the morning breaking it down then having to drive another 30 miles to return it. In the mean time I'm no further along with my project and am basically back to square one and have to drive 50 miles to the next available supplier. 

Unfortunately I experienced the same thing with Menard's Plywood about a year ago it was probably the last piece I will buy from them. Luckily i don't use that much plywood mostly just for shop cabinets and then I just get BB which is more expensive but for a couple of cabinets not usually an issue.

I get the vent but they returned it. I'd consider that a win.

I guess for me in ND and mostly here in MSP buying from the cabinet shops/lumber yards your bound to get the same company for ply Timber Products sells to most of the lumber Yards around here. Also the yard i bought from in Bismarck sold Timber Products as well. They have a few different cores be it the fir core or hybrid MDF and fir core, so if you go to a yard try and find the ones with the MDF core. My old yard only carried that claiming it was more stable and fared better than the strait veneer cores.

32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I get the vent but they returned it. I'd consider that a win.

I guess for me in ND and mostly here in MSP buying from the cabinet shops/lumber yards your bound to get the same company for ply Timber Products sells to most of the lumber Yards around here. Also the yard i bought from in Bismarck sold Timber Products as well. They have a few different cores be it the fir core or hybrid MDF and fir core, so if you go to a yard try and find the ones with the MDF core. My old yard only carried that claiming it was more stable and fared better than the strait veneer cores.

Generally I agree Drew but in my case like op I cut a sheet down (luckily with a track saw) and it literally delaminated all over the place. Had this been done on a TS it would have been really bad. I have never had a piece of plywood from Youngbloods here in MPLS do that or HD for that matter.

Maybe my point was missed, i don't think it's menard's fault for the crappy ply. It's the companies fault for cutting corners to meet the bid to the box store. Menards also took back the defective product for ply/building materials that seems rare to me. The company that makes their play also makes better ply that is sold at lumber yards higher chance of not having a defect/more stable better product also more $$$$.

• Like 1

What works for me is always order more than what I need so when this happens I'm not out of luck. I no others may have not have the room to store ply or use it often enough to do this. I also would have exchanged it instead of coming back with nothing.  I have never had more than one bad sheet like this out of a large order. I agree its not Menards fault no more that its Home Depots fault when I buy what I no to be low grade ply and have trouble with it. 

• Like 1