Using Bowl and Tray bit without chewing up template

daviddoria

Hi guys,

The router bit shown in the attachment has about a 1/8" gap between the bearing and the blade. If I use a 1/4" thick acrylic template, in order to get a "reasonable" (1/8" or so) portion of the bearing to ride on the template, while at the same time actually cutting the top of the workpiece, I end up cutting into the the bottom of the template. This is very annoying, because templates like this are very expensive!. Is there something I'm missing to be able to use this without cutting the template?

Thanks,

David

bearing.JPG

Can you post a picture of the problem.  I'm having a hard time understanding the issue.  The bearing should be in the same plane as the blade, so as long as you're not tilting the router, your template shouldn't be cut.  If the problem is that the template is too close to the workpiece, couldn't you attach a spacer (with double sided tape) to the bottom of the template to lift it up another ~1/8 or so?

Hi Art,

I have attached some drawings. You're right, in theory the blade does not extend past the bearing, but it seems to just enough to hit the template.

In attached 'routerbit.jpg', you'll see the situation I used when I accidentally cut the template. In 'routerbit_2.jpg', you'll see that if I lower the bit so that the bearing is the only part to touch the template, that the top part of the workpiece is not cut.

David

routerbit.jpg

routerbit_2.jpg

I think the big takeaway is to hog out the waste somehow so that you can start with the cutting edge of the bit below the template. It's good practice to remove bulk waste for all manners of template routing. It puts a lot of strain on bits like this to remove so much material. Also removing less material allows you to move faster so you won't burn and get a cleaner cut.

I'm still confused. The bearing should be the same size as the cutter so how are you cutting info the template? Are you holding the router flat on top of the template? I actually have that same bit and don't ever recall an issue. Regardless I would just leave a 1/16" of material and clean it up after you are done or place a piece of 1/8" mdf under the template so you cut into that. I still wonder if there is something amiss with the bit if held flat (not tipped) it should not be eating into your template.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...