Dendrochronology

Tom King

Fascinating!!

Thanks, Tom.

It does remind me of a story about a grad student in dendrochronology (I can't even type that fast, never mind say it).  He broke his bit in a bristlecone pine, was ok'd by the forest supervisor to "just cut it down - we have lots of older trees", and wound up cutting down the oldest known tree in the world.  The reputation supposedly haunted him for his career.

[PS I like the portable, adjustable scaffold/platform.]

Edited by Pondhockey

I use those platforms when I'm plastering a ceiling.  They're made to be the right height for working in a specific room.  We make them to take up a little over half the space in the room to be plastered.   That one Mick is on is one of the short ones we had at another old house, made to take up the end space beyond the long platforms.   Rather than changing the legs-just screwed together, we just scabbed on some scraps to raise this one to the right height for Mick to work in these rooms.  The others that go with it are 8' long.  If we used that one in another room, with different ceiling height, we would change the legs so they can all be jambed up together, with nothing to trip over while looking up spreading plaster.

The one I'm on in this picture were made the right height, and took up the full width of this hallway.   None of the commercial scaffolding ever works out to be exactly the right height, or width, and in the middle of putting up plaster, I don't want to stop and wait for scaffolding to be moved.

april182013_012.JPG

• Like 1

As is often the case, this house turned out to be a different age than the told story.   It was built in 1796, rather than the told history of 1780.   Long story, but I knew it was no way the owner built it when he was a young man, and especially during the Revolution.  It all makes a lot more sense now.