Mineral oil finish

Art

I know the standard finish for cutting boards is mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax.  I've never actually seen or felt a board with this finish, so I'm wondering what they feel like?  Do they have a greasy feel? 

I just finished two large end grain boards and finished them with Tried and True Varnish oil, and they look great, but it takes forever for them to cure, so I'll likely try MO next time, but I'm concerned about how they feel.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

I use Watco's Butcher Block Oil &  finish  on new boards then mineral oil to maintain. When they are well worn I run them through the drum sander and Give them another coat of the Watco butcher block finish . I do not apply multiple coats in an attempt to build a finish.

I use this https://www.amazon.com/Howard-BBC012-Butcher-Conditioner-12-Ounce/dp/B001ESTA30

It does not feel greasy or like anything after you get the excess off. I slather the board and then stick it in the oven on warm and let it sit for 10 min. Wipe off the excess and do the same for the other side. Doing this it's been about 6 months between re coating.

I have had no problems or complaints with just plain old $1 a bottle food grade mineral oil (available in a fancy bottle with some other odd ingredients for $15 if you like :D).  Any finish that becomes hard will fracture on a cutting board surface in use and enter the food being prepared. 

This doesn't stop the makers of Wal-Mart Rubberwood cutting boards from doing it but, you will find things done differently in a gourmet supply shop.  You need a finish that is easily refreshed (and readily available) or casual users won't maintain their boards.

It does take a few days for the mineral oil to stop weeping from an end grain cutting board following the initial treatment.  You want to be sure the pores are all filled with oil.  This is the general idea as otherwise the pores will fill with the liquid residue of what is being cut.  JMHO.