Shoe Rack

Chestnut

This was a 3 day project. We needed a she rack for the closet and instead of buying one i made one from some scrap and a board of that super inexpensive cherry i picked up.

Construction is simple. I just riped boards to 1" and then glued blocks for separators. I had a small chunk of walnut and cherry i cut up for the job.

1860994192754359222.thumb.jpg.39764753294d188c08587c46223bc543.jpg

8482042990331924900.thumb.jpg.dc03abfe24353e4056bc54b67b81cf5a.jpg

6760672830495572862.thumb.jpg.928422902b11f6cf26824d0b120e816c.jpg

I ended up making it to the width of the opening and forgot to account for the trim. So it sits on top of the trim. It's not a terrible turn out because i made the first level too low and it might not have fit over the boots. Can you tell we're a Keen family? Only half of our Keen shoes are pictured here....

2328271836813830321.thumb.jpg.cbecb57b8cc0c92ad2b5a505d5c05b38.jpg

• Like 1

Nice solution. I've been building a bunch of stuff with scraps recently. Last night I needed a piece of anything to span a 20" Gap and don't have a single scrap piece that long any more.. Guess I've gotta actually built sh*t now to make somemore scrap.

I'm assuming Keen is the brand? Never heard of them.

8 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Do you wear green flip flops?  Man. I must be behind on the things to wear now. :)

Naa mine are the Canadian special under the black dress shoes. True to the style I make sure to wear them with socks, though that's become popular in the young crowd these days might have to start going sockless.

32 minutes ago, drzaius said:

You didn't ask for it, but I'm going to offer my critique. You got the shoes facing the wrong way! Much easier to grab the ones on the lower shelves if they're toe in :) 

On the whole i agree but i made the spacing a hair to short to try and leave room for coats. What I didn't realize is that when put on the rack the way you suggested the tongue will catch the slat above it and pull the rack over. This way they are harder to grab but are easier to remove.

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

Nice solution. I've been building a bunch of stuff with scraps recently. Last night I needed a piece of anything to span a 20" Gap and don't have a single scrap piece that long any more.. Guess I've gotta actually built sh*t now to make somemore scrap.

I'm assuming Keen is the brand? Never heard of them.

I have been efficient with my scraps as well. I'm starting to find that i don't have much to pull from and what i do have is very small and practically unusable. Yes keen is a brand of shoes they make hiking type and work type shoes. I found them because they make an ankle height steel toe and after wearing them i found they solved my ankle pain so now they are all i buy. I hate boots can't stand stuff around my ankle.