Throwback Thursday

DerekMPBS

21 hours ago, Tmize said:

What was the weekly bring home pay back then? Like $5 a week?

I did a bit of Google searching to find out, but didn't have a lot of luck, except for things like an Expo in 1901, which paid carpenters $55 to $65 for a week, but that was unusually high for the short term job.   Otherwise, in 1901, .50 an hour was a high paying job in the financial world.  It cost $1.19 to feed a family of four, and women didn't work, so most people worked a half day to be able to eat.

Passing on magazines seems to be a trend? Amazing at the prices of things over a hundred years ago. Plus look at the income of people. People though Henry Ford was crazy paying his workers five dollars a DAY!

Reminds me of a sign in an antique shop- Grandma bought it. Mom threw it away.  I bought it back.

My Grandfather kept a General Store that his Father had built right after the Civil War.  We have one of his suppliers catalogs from about that time.  It has a hard back, and has everything a general store would need to stock, including steel beds, coffins, and several hundred pages of stuff.  There is a lot of hardware in it, but not many tools.  I guess Sears covered everything else.