Spraying dyes and stains.

wdwerker

We just started a project building 3 bookcases with storage in the bases for a doctors office. Needed to match the existing desk as close as possible. I removed a drawer front to use as a sample. My finish supplier offers a color matching service. They mixed me a gallon of "Amazing Stain" , it's a spray on leave on solvent based pro shop only product. But alcohol based dyes behave very similarly.  I spray very thin coats with only a few minutes between them. Careful 50% overlap of the spray pattern.

IMG_3046.thumb.JPG.936aa5a5a6aea89b1677b0ba79a66eb9.JPG

One coat on cherry ply with a scrap of the raw ply as a comparison. Prep was 220 Granat on my ETS 150/3 random orbit sander then 220 & 320 grit by hand using foam backed abrasive & a cork block for even pressure.

IMG_3047.thumb.JPG.7d0776fc807fc5e9dc4a76bd0df4604d.JPG

2 coats

IMG_3048.thumb.JPG.67104dd221f34d81f4578e34e3bf7c95.JPG

3 coats.  The darker area on the bottom of the sample pictures is a shadow due to lighting .

IMG_3049.thumb.JPG.b56923c8785a9e97e52ff3123433ac93.JPG

4 coats

IMG_3050.thumb.JPG.bed6cf258df659f5a4b7fbe8960dd47b.JPG

5 coats

IMG_3051.thumb.JPG.5c6f13940afc93bfb0a855c884433bd2.JPG

Sanding sealer . You can use shellac , very fine almost a misting coat with several passes before you apply a thin but wet coat. This approach minimizes any disturbance of the dye. I used a waterbourne sanding sealer.  A couple of thin coats of sealer helps prevent sanding through & disturbing the color below. 

IMG_3052.thumb.JPG.f7d525ed2fe55f82cb830125d8dcfc42.JPG

320 foam backed abrasive and a cork block very gently ! Followed by a gray abrasive pad which gives an even scuff with much less chance of cutting through to the color. Sand thru mistakes can be touched up with an air brush or small touch up HVLP spray gun but it isn't easy to do so careful sanding is the way to go. 

IMG_3055.thumb.JPG.5caafaf7d2d99dfc58488c59396628ad.JPG

Satin waterbourne top coat

IMG_3054.thumb.JPG.4c4dc784b3ccf91fb64887ce7c97b849.JPG

Sample drawer front with my finish sample to submit for approval to the Doctor.  I also made several other samples at the same time and masked off 1/2 before the sealer & finish coats. Peeling off the tape gives me a stained sample for color control while I spray 3 bookcases, 12 shelves, 2 doors and 6 drawer fronts. Probably 3-5 days to stain & finish about 500 sq ft of edgebanded cherry ply ( 8 sheets x 2 sides ) The existing desk is cherry veneer over particleboard edgebanded. We hunt down all the sawtooth joints in the edgeband and cut around them.

• Like 2

I think it could do with a touch more red too. At some angles it looks much closer. At some angles it looks lighter too. Plus the cherry hasn't darkened yet and one whole wall of the office is windows. The office isn't lit up as much as the shop. I compared them in full sun and in shadows and I think it's good enough. 

I always tell them that the first serious shot at a color match is included in the quote. After that it's time and materials until the match is close enough for them to approve it. That single gallon of stain was $95 . I've got about 5 hours in that sample. Can't kick up dust between spraying something every 5 to 30 minutes so it ties me up. Did manage to finish my new lapboard during the process. 

That's a great way to do it.

I was very tempted at a nice spray booth setup for sale on my nearest CL yesterday.  It was a complete downdraft setup, large enough to get a good sized boat in, or a good sized truck, with all sorts of extra lighting, and racks to hang small parts on.  5k for a year old 25k+ spray booth.  Buyer had to dissassemble, and move for motivated seller.

I just went to copy the link to it, and it's gone already.  It's not something that I would get payback on, but would have been a real pleasure to have.  I thought about you when I saw it, but it would take something like 16x32' inside a building.  Overkill for cabinets, and furniture, but would have been a real luxury.

The $95 included the charge for the color match work . Now that I have the formula the price drops to normal tinted stain costs. 

I returned the drawer front today and delivered the sample for the Doctors approval. Sample in the office lighting is the proof of the pudding. 

IMG_3057.thumb.JPG.10eb98d7e80f6240b202c8e264ef6bf3.JPG

IMG_3058.thumb.JPG.5d009de158768bbee1b0e0cee5b63f15.JPG

The staff thought it looked good, the decorator was pleased so I don't think there will be any problems. I'm still not staining any parts until the man says it's approved. Aston Martin mouse pad on his desk caught my eye.....