Lifting cabinet saw solo

Ron Swanson Jr.

I assembled my Sawstop myself, but it was placed onto my shop floor via the shipping company in three boxes.

That being said, I injured my back while trying to lift a planer a few months back. It put me out for a few days, and I could hardly walk for the first day. I have never had a back issue before, and consider myself decently strong.

So THINK carefully before doing any heavy lifting - It's just not worth the risk. The box is not telling lies when it says "team lift".

@drzaius I appreciate that. It appeared that the guy in the video was following instructions. It's not a heavy lift that he made.

From the box you lay the styrofoam that it's packed in out on the floor and roll the cabinet/saw onto it. Then he got it upright and negotiated it into the mobile base. He never really "picked it up" -  he more tilted it halfway and kind of shimmied it in. 

With that said, I will be grabbing the one neighbor that I know well enough to ask for a hand when it's time to do this. I have had some fairly minor back issues over the years and enough to know that I need to take care of my back. My brother who is a life long Carpenter in Chicago is having surgery this week as they rebuild his spine with cadaver bones. It's his second one and there will be more. Point being, I read you loud and clear and I definitely appreciate the heads up. And I hope your back is feeling better, sir!

Edited by applejackson
Spelling

7 hours ago, applejackson said:

I have had some fairly minor back issues over the years

Yikes.  Then definitely don't mess around, and take the steps needed.  a Few 2x4's under the top 'somewhere' to make it into a dead-lift operation, , or removing the top like Chestnut mentioned to lighten it as much as possible, might be the ticket.

11 hours ago, applejackson said:

I have had some fairly minor back issues over the years and enough to know that I need to take care of my back.

I'm in the same boat & have 2 discs that are iffy, so I don't lightly suggest that 1 person can do it, but the process really is well thought out to make it easier. There certainly is no reason to remove the top.

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

Wasn't the bigger problem getting the saw out of your truck?  Getting it on the mobile base will absolutely be easy-ish to do by yourself.  I just assembled my mobile base around my 600+ pound Hammer with minimal grunt work. 

Getting it out of the truck was easy. The box is longer than the distance from the tailgate to the ground, so you're never supporting more than 1 end at a time. It would be easy to rig up a ramp to slide it down.

• Like 2

Well it got here a day early so I had to scramble and all plans went to shit. Had to unload the box in the bed of the truck to make it more manageable. Once the packing straps break and you open the top of the box, the box pretty much falls away. So I got it off the truck ok but now everything is a mess and along with all the other boxes for the base and dust collection, outfeed table, etc it's a real mess.

Tonight I got the mobile base converted to fit the professional series, and I got the saw into it by myself but I think it's going to have to come out because I need to bleed the air out of the Piston. Doesn't seem to be working.

Unless I'm wrong, and I very well could be, it appears that I didn't receive the manual, or the miter gauge or the dust Port for the cabinet. Off to a frustrating start so far. This is exactly how I did NOT want this to start out.

9 minutes ago, applejackson said:

Had to unload the box in the bed of the truck to make it more manageable.

Oh no! I had thought about warning not to do that. The key is to follow the unpacking directions to the letter. Every bit of cardboard, wood & styrofoam that it's packed in has been designed to play a part in making the saw easy to set up.

The manual is a nice, coil bound, full color, heavy paper affair that is very good. If you can't get one right away from the supplier, it is available for download from the SawStop website.

As I recall, all the main saw parts (including those you're missing) come in 1 box, with the extension table, fence & rails in other boxes.

• Like 1

I just received mine last week.  It was shipped to our store and they loaded it up onto a delivery truck and brought it over first thing in the morning.  The truck had a forklift on the back, so they just lifted it off the truck, drove up the driveway and set the whole pallet in my garage, then pushed it all the way in.  That part was easy.

I got it unpacked and stood it upright without too much difficulty.  It is heavy but not as bad as I thought.  I'm debating how to get it onto the ICS base, though.  I'm wondering if two of us can lift it up while a third rolls the base underneath.  I think I might try that this weekend when I have my renter around to help.  He and I can pick it up while my wife rolls the base underneath.

Chestnut, thank you for the idea with the 2x4's.  I think I will do that to make the saw easier to lift.

My saw came shrink-wrapped on a pallet with labels and stickers all over it.  I had one box with the brake carts, blade and dado insert plate, one with the ICS base, one for the fence and one for the saw.  The wings were in their own boxes inside the mail saw box.  The miter gauge, blade guard, hand wheels, hardware and motor dust shroud were in a box inside the main box too.  So far I haven't seen anything missing.  The manual is great, too - spiral bound, full color glossy paper, 8 1/2" x 11" and easy to read.  They even include instructions on removing the power cord and installing a longer one.

• Like 1

@drzaius I had read about how you're supposed to follow unpacking to the letter. So when that went out the window immediately, my anxiety just shot right up. Off to a bad start from the get go. Then I couldn't find the manual I had read so much about... Eeesh. Anyway, I'm sure my neighbors heard my joyful scream when I found the one box I hadn't unpacked yet and it held the blade, miter gauge, instructions and a few other things. Back on track now!

@DerekMPBS I can was able to wiggle it into the mobile base from the back by myself and without too much difficulty but read the sheet about purging air from the Piston and you to make sure the base is all ready to go before you insert the saw.i also put the packing foam on the e ground in case I dumped it but it actually went in pretty easily.

2 hours ago, DerekMPBS said:

The manual is great, too - spiral bound, full color glossy paper, 8 1/2" x 11" and easy to read.  They even include instructions on removing the power cord and installing a longer one.

I've never seen anything so well put together as the color coded and bubble wrapped hardware. You can't screw this up if you tried. At least, so far anyway. I got the wings on tonight and a few other things. I'm hoping to have the main saw assembly done tomorrow and the dust collection and outfeed table the night after that. So far the setup has been very smooth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, applejackson said:

I've never seen anything so well put together as the color coded and bubble wrapped hardware. You can't screw this up if you tried. At least, so far anyway. I got the wings on tonight and a few other things. I'm hoping to have the main saw assembly done tomorrow and the dust collection and outfeed table the night after that. So far the setup has been very smooth.

Long story short, I assembled two Sawstop cabinet saws by the time I was done. It was very straightforward and I also loved the colour coded blister packs. I did the exact same thing with the Manual - I thought they omitted mine, but I found in short order! And its a great manual too!

• Like 2

I man handled my Sawstop PCS by myself.

The hardest part was sliding it out the back of the Uhaul van I rented.   I build a ramp with some 2x6's I had... slid it down onto a moving dolly so I could move it around the garage.

Sawstop has in their instructions how to take it off the crate and onto the mobile base, it's not hard.

• Like 2

Should finish up assembly on the saw tonight. Probably won't get the dust collection or outfeed table until the weekend. It's been very smooth so far. The only even slightly challenging thing to do solo has been getting the rail brackets co-planer with the table by myself. A couple Bessy clamps took care of that task.