A Roubo from beams?

I went counter to what most do by using 4/4 maple. My thought was that many smaller laminations would be more stable than just a few large pieces glued together. It has stayed dead flat. Fortuitously, the lumber yard had a bunch of 4/4 hard maple that had mineral streaking for the ridiculously low (for around here) price of $1.90/BF. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut, if you prefer a clean-looking bench, go cherry over the oak. The open pores collect grime at an unbelievable rate.

OTOH, in a couple years, you could pass your oak bench off as a 17th century antique!  :D

Yeah if i did oak i'd probably try and pore fill the oak. I don't know if i'm going to be able to get 8/4 cherry cheap any more with my yard closing. I'm going to head there monday and possibly buy all the 8/4 cherry they have left.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, Chestnut said:

I think you made an awesome bench like incredibly awesome. I'm tempted to call up Cremona and ask to buy some of the Oak he milled last year to make my own roubo. It's either that or cherry.

Thanks man.  I was lukewarm to the look of the bench until I wiped it down with mineral spirits the first time.  I dig the color.

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Chestnut, if you prefer a clean-looking bench, go cherry over the oak. The open pores collect grime at an unbelievable rate.

OTOH, in a couple years, you could pass your oak bench off as a 17th century antique!  :D

I thought about filling the pores of the top, and I suppose theres no reason I can't do so at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey blue, just curious how long about it took you to go from start to finish either in days worked or hours? I have some PTO i need to use or loose and I'm thinking about taking it to make either a bench or a hand tool cabinet.

I don't know how i missed the live edge deadman you installed. I think that's a fantastic idea. I'm meh on live edge furniture just because i think it's a fad that is about to end but in a wood shop i think it will always fit. Ok maybe i'm just hopeful the live edge slab fad will end soon because their markup is absurd!

On 4/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, bleedinblue said:

I thought about filling the pores of the top, and I suppose theres no reason I can't do so at some point.

Correct! If in the next while you realize you want it filled, you could have it done in a weekend easily! I'm thinking that if I every flatten my bench again, I will probably fill the pores. Ash pores aren't quite as bad as oak but still, there is a lot of grime that get caught in there.

May even try a black fill. Turn it into a bumblebee bench!