A Roubo from beams?

5 hours ago, woodbutcher said:

Looks awesome, you are cruising right through this project. 

Are you planning to do a different species for the chop and deadman, or will they be the same as what you have used on the rest of the bench?

The chop is cherry and maple.  The 6/4 cherry I was going to double up to use for the chop ended up being a little too thin after milling, so I laminated some scrap maple in between the two halves of cherry.  Kind of an after thought and the only place maple has been used on the bench, but whatev.  The deadman will likely be cherry as I have a lot of it on hand, and the end cap and dogs are cherry.  I have some live edge cherry that could turn out pretty cool.  As I type this though...I realize I do have quite a bit of curly maple and that may tie into the maple in the chop...

• Like 1

A. I forgot that you were making this out of oak and the bench looks wonderful. I dig the character on the legs and the slabs look real nice with the very few glue lines.

2. If I'm calling gout a mistake sorry. What are the holes for on the leg on the tail vise side. At first i thought you were left handed and were putting the leg vise on the right now I'm sorta confused.

III. I'm jealous man this bench looks awesome. All the roubos do. I got really frustrated with my pipe clamp vise when i was working on these outdoor rockers. I couldn't get stuff to hold unless i took my long channel lock pliers to the clamp screws.

• I think this covers all the list leading thingys. Hope going back to work goes smoothly.

35 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

2. If I'm calling gout a mistake sorry. What are the holes for on the leg on the tail vise side. At first i thought you were left handed and were putting the leg vise on the right now I'm sorta confused.

They are hold fast holes you use them for long boards in the vise and also as a place to store them

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I had to go back to work and that really derailed my shop time.

But...ya know what today is?  Finishing day.  The bench is complete, save for the lower shelf and some trimming i will need to do to the dogs to account for the rubber/cork.  I ain't gonna lie, the bench is starting to look cool.  The finish is making it pop.

Pictures later today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chet said:

What are you using for finish?   I am sure you know, but you don't want it too smooth on top or work pieces will slide around to much. ;)

Yup, I know.  I'm using up some leftover waterlox.  I will certainly have to be careful not to build up too much of a finish.

I'm really disappointed in the photos, I may (but probably won't) dig out the DSLR and try to snap a few quality pictures.  These are just so washed out they didn't capture the figure in the wood or depth of the color variations.

Something odd...the dead man and end cap are both cherry, and mostly heart wood, but the color just isn't there.  Hopefully they start to catch up with the leg vise chop. 

8 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looks like a bench you can really work on! Curious about the center gap and stop. Is it photo distortion, or did you make it extra wide for a particular reason?

It's something like 2 3/8".  Partly to make it easy to slide clamps in, partly to hit 24" total width.   Each slab ended up slightly narrower than the plans called for but I still wanted at least 24".

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

It's something like 2 3/8".  Partly to make it easy to slide clamps in, partly to hit 24" total width.   Each slab ended up slightly narrower than the plans called for but I still wanted at least 24".

And you will thank yourself later

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 2:17 PM, bleedinblue said:

I think I made it the best I could have given my skill, time to dedicate, and material. 

I think you made an awesome bench like incredibly awesome. I'm tempted to call up Cremona and ask to buy some of the Oak he milled last year to make my own roubo. It's either that or cherry.

• Like 1