Internet Pet Peeves

mlingenfelter

I have a few pet peeves, when it come to the Internet. My biggest is "animated/moving/flashing" ads! I hate these ads with a passion! I'll stop going to web sites that have these types of adds. For me they are very distracting, when trying to read. I understand people are trying to make a living on the internet, and ads are a way to keep some sites free. I accept ads, if they don't interfere with using the site. I've clicked on the rare ad, but can't remember if I've bought anything because of an ad. I only bring this up, because I'm sad that a web site I enjoy has started using these types of ads. Granted I haven't been to this site in away, so this might not be new to the site. So, I'm very sad that LumberJocks has started to use these types ads :(. I don't want to add them to the list of sites I boycott. I will likely give them a few more tries (more than I do for other sites), but it's not looking good.

What are your Internet Pet Peeves?

Mike

hey Mike. Not to derail the conversation but I do want to present the website owners side of the story. When you enable Google ads on your site, you don't always have control over what ad shows up. If the owner sees a particularly annoying ad, they can always go in and block it. But the ads that are served are actually based on the browsing info Google has about you. So the ads I see will be different from the ads you see. A well-meaning website may enable Google ads and have no idea that some of them are going to be painfully annoying flash ads.

That said, you sound like a good candidate for an ad blocker. This way you can enjoy your favorite sites without having to see unwanted ads. If you use Firefox, check out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/addon/adblock-plus/

And considering MOST blogs and websites use Google Ads, this might be a good way for you to have a better browsing experience. Even FWW and Pop. WW'ing have been using Google ads on their sites for the last few years.

I like using "NoScript" with FireFox. It turns off all dynamic content. It can be annoying, because a lot of sites just don't work. When that happens, I click on the NoScript icon and click on the sites that I want to allow. I can permanently or temporarily allow dynamic content from sites.

This means that none of the sites I visit get any ad revenue from me. So, once or twice a year I go to the sites I visit regularly and click the "donate" button.

I'm using Chrome more and more lately. I found an Extension that seems to be working pretty well. I guess I allowed my past experience with Ad Blockers, to count them out. I guess things have gotten better :). This even blocks those Ads I've been getting in the Google RSS Reader :). Thanks Marc, for having me take another look at Ad Blockers. I still stand by my comment about these types of Ads really annoying!

Mike

Speaking of Chrome... I use it everywhere. The Windows version has a nice option I want them to port to the OSX version. It allows you to put the tabs on the left side. Now, I can hear it... "but but but the tabs have to be at the top! heresy!" What I like is that I have a lot of tabs open. When they are strung out on the top, I eventually get a lot of page icons with the first two letters of the page. When they are on the side, you get the first couple words always.

Here's how you turn it on:

^T to get a new tab

navigate to "about:flags" note the colon

Find the "enable side-tab view" and enable it. Save settings and let it restart Chrome.

Everything will look the same. But now you've enabled a menu... right-click a tab and find the "use side tabs" item. Voilà!

If you don't like them, right-click and uncheck 'use side tabs'. The whole "about:flags" thing was just to enable this hidden feature.

I want that on OSX.

As for Safari, what I don't get is that Chrome is build on the same webkit as Safari so everything should work the same. I don't use Safari much anymore.

My biggest internet peeve is the troll disease that makes people who have the protection of sitting behind their screens act like jerks. It doesn't matter the subject matter at all, if someone puts themselves out there with a blog post or video it never fails that someone comes along and has to throw some thoughtless comment into the mix. Moreover I have seen many go so far as to then go on to write their own content specifically bashing the site.

Thankfully, it seems that in the woodworking community we are spared most of this stuff (it still happens) as it seems most woodworkers are pretty stand up people. Don't get me wrong I'm not really referring to any incident specifically, and I have been thankfully spared from much of the troll behavior on my site. As I have been forced into more web development in my new job as of late I have spent a lot more time on development and graphics threads and it seems that people are just jerks to one another once they get into web anonymity mode.

OK off the soapbox now.

Oh yeah? Well you SUCK!

Sincerely,

Not Allen

My biggest internet peeve is the troll disease that makes people who have the protection of sitting behind their screens act like jerks. It doesn't matter the subject matter at all, if someone puts themselves out there with a blog post or video it never fails that someone comes along and has to throw some thoughtless comment into the mix. Moreover I have seen many go so far as to then go on to write their own content specifically bashing the site.

Thankfully, it seems that in the woodworking community we are spared most of this stuff (it still happens) as it seems most woodworkers are pretty stand up people. Don't get me wrong I'm not really referring to any incident specifically, and I have been thankfully spared from much of the troll behavior on my site. As I have been forced into more web development in my new job as of late I have spent a lot more time on development and graphics threads and it seems that people are just jerks to one another once they get into web anonymity mode.

OK off the soapbox now.

I agree flaming trolls are also at the top of my list. I also agree there doesn't seem to as many on Woodworking sites, but I've seen some really nasty stuff said on some sites. Generally these people are just cowards. They wouldn't have the courage to say half of what they say online, if they were face to face with the person.