Desktop computer stuck on the mobile site

drzaius

This is something that has happened a few time & I've never been able to figure it out. Randomly the WTO full site will be replaced by the mobile site on my desktop computer. I can't find a way to access the full site. This has corrected itself after a few days in the past, but it has been going on like this for a few weeks now. The issue has happened on both my home computer & the one at work, although not concurrently.

Any solution for this short of deleting all the cookies & flushing out the works? I hate to do that because then I'm faced with weeks of having to get all the various sites working like I want them to.

I am looking at my Android phone running Chrome.  If I pull down the three dot menu in Chrome (as opposed to the three line menu of the web page) I have a "desktop site" option.  That toggles my phone between desktop and phone presentation modes.  Anything similar on your desktop?

There's ways to get this to happen purposefully.   Chrome has a developer toolbar with a button you can click to force the browser to report it's a mobile browser and thus show the mobile version.   But you'd have to be going into the developer tools and adjusting things purposefully.

Just an example of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/139136/how-to-access-mobile-websites-using-your-desktop-browser/

2 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

There's ways to get this to happen purposefully.   Chrome has a developer toolbar with a button you can click to force the browser to report it's a mobile browser and thus show the mobile version.   But you'd have to be going into the developer tools and adjusting things purposefully.

Just an example of this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/139136/how-to-access-mobile-websites-using-your-desktop-browser/

Well, that was a good try, but no joy. the User Agent was set to select automatically & I unchecked that & manually selected Chrome - Windows, but there was no change.

I've had occasionally open a page to the mobile site, but it usually just a one time thing. WTO is the only site where it has been persistent. 

Thanks for the suggestions though.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Perhaps return to one of those pages that you set to mobile site and change that page to Windows.  Maybe that will "flip the switch".

None were set to mobile. It was set to auto detect so I tried forcing it to Chrome - Windows, but it had no effect.

5 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm not in front of a desktop right now, but you should be able to delete cookies and cache from only one site, if you choose. Been a while since I did it, those things may be a bit more hidden from the user than they once were.

I'll dig into that when I get to work tomorrow. I know in IE, I was able to selectively delete cookies, but I don't think that's possible in Chrome. If it is, that would be great. I'm sure that would solve the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I cleared all cookies, flushed browser data, cleared the history. Just gave the thing a huge enema. Didn't help though. Tried using incognito mode, tried Edge, I'm still getting the mobile site. This is the only site that does this.

Any suggestions are most welcome, and thanks.

Widows 10, fancy pants Asus board with a fairly high end processor & M2 hard drive. Can't remember the specifics off hand. I've tried it with Chrome & Edge with the same result. I just installed Firefox to try that, & the site works as it should. 

This is weird cause I never use Edge. It's only there cause it has to be. And no settings were changed a couple of weeks ago when this thing started.

• Thanks 1

Very strange. A couple times I've had the mobile site pull up on my desktop/laptop when I have clicked on a 'frequently visited site' link in Firefox that is linked to my phone, but haven't had that happen in a few months. Now when I try to make it happen again, I can't.

I didn’t think this was mobile/desktop but adaptive. Try checking two things. First check your display resolution. That might trigger the adaptive simplification. Also, there is a setting at the bottom called “theme.” That is only supposed to affect the color scheme and a few other small things, but it is worth checking. 

44 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

I didn’t think this was mobile/desktop but adaptive. Try checking two things. First check your display resolution. That might trigger the adaptive simplification. Also, there is a setting at the bottom called “theme.” That is only supposed to affect the color scheme and a few other small things, but it is worth checking. 

Resolution on the main screen is 2560x1600, the other 2 are 1024x1280. I have the same screen at home, but not the problem. I tried changing the theme, but no good. The screen content on the PC is just like on my phone, but way more spread out.

I've tried numerous possible solutions that the Google suggested, but none worked. And the thing that it works properly on Firefox but not Edge or Chrome is weird. 

1st  question did you by any chance hit control + shift + m? F12 toggles developer mode if you check the bottom right there is a thing to click to toggle mobile mode.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.299cb28e5432c039617d717e412c914f.jpg

2nd question have you tried this?

" Had a similar problem. This fixed it for me. (WIn7)

Shut down  chrome.

Open task manager and stop chrome in processes.

In explorer type into the address bar :-

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\     ("Application Data" can't be accessed because of permissions so type the whole path into the address bar)

change the file called "Managed Mode Settings" to "Managed Mode Settings_old".

Then start chrome up again. I restored the previous session and it worked."

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

1st  question did you by any chance hit control + shift + m? F12 toggles developer mode if you check the bottom right there is a thing to click to toggle mobile mode.

2nd question have you tried this?

" Had a similar problem. This fixed it for me. (WIn7)

Shut down  chrome.

Open task manager and stop chrome in processes.

In explorer type into the address bar :-

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\     ("Application Data" can't be accessed because of permissions so type the whole path into the address bar)

change the file called "Managed Mode Settings" to "Managed Mode Settings_old".

Then start chrome up again. I restored the previous session and it worked."

Well, those suggestions looked nerdy enough that I was sure one would work, but sadly, no. 

The second suggestion didn't work cause Win 10 and/or Chrome have change enough that there is no longer a file of that name.

I did open the developer tools & was able to toggle modes. Mobile mode shows the thread page just as it would on a mobile device, while desktop mode shows the same, but just wider, filling the window. But on the main forum page and the subforum pages there is a pane on the right hand side that shows 'Popular Now', 'Topics', 'Posts', 'Popular Contributors' boxes just like on the regular desktop site.

Hey @Tpt life, you  might be on to something with this 'adaptive' thing. I know nothing about it or how to shut it off. It is only the Woodtalkonline site that is affected.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

42 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Is your chrome window zoomed? The adaptive website uses your zoom level to determine screen size, so if the window is zoomed to a certain level, it will switch over to the mobile site

DING DING DING DING! This wins the prize.

Chrome is at 100%, but I do have the displays zoomed to 125%. It's just too hard to read the small print at 100%. I changed to 100% & the site was normal. Switched back to 125% & it went 'adapted'. But I have the same monitor at home & also have it set to 125% zoom, but the site appears as the normal desktop site. 

So now I'm playing around & I zoom the chrome window only out to 80% & the page goes normal, Then back to 100% & it stays normal. I'm a happy guy. But sometimes I wish things didn't try to be so automatic.

Thanks for the help. We got a bunch of very smart people here.

• Like 2