Need help finding a specific box friction hinge

I am going to build a wooden case for my Ipad. I am looking at hardware first and what I need are hinges like these but that will open 180 deg. and hopefully have some friction to keep the lid open much like a typical laptop hinge. I want the hinges to be brass or brass plated, and I need to be able to route a groove to set the hinge flush to the surface. I am not having much luck finding anything suitable, so any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Lastly, any tips as to how I can route that inset using a router would be helpful also. (I do have a router table.)

Thanks everyone!

Bud

41qzMq4Ta7L.jpg

First thing I thought of was Brusso.  Also, I've used a hinge, actually a pair, similar to what you're describing.  You could use a router to create the rebate but it's so small I ended up using a chisel.

edit: I just searched Brusso.  First, their site isn't as easy to search as I'd hoped, second, couldn't find something like this but I'm pretty sure I knew what I was looking for.  I'll have to think about where I got mine because it was some time ago.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions! Those hinges look nice but are a little too wide at 1/2". I am wanting to cut my stiles about 1/2" wide so I would think I need a hinge no wider than 1/4" wide.  I want to make the case fit my IPad as small and close fitting as possible without too much bulk in the overall design. I plan on planning the outside edges into a kinda oval shape to match the edge of the IPad case design.

• 2 years later...

On 3/7/2019 at 8:31 PM, B. Brinkley said:

I am going to build a wooden case for my Ipad. I am looking at hardware first and what I need are hinges like these but that will open 180 deg. and hopefully have some friction to keep the lid open much like a typical laptop hinge. I want the hinges to be brass or brass plated, and I need to be able to route a groove to set the hinge flush to the surface. I am not having much luck finding anything suitable, so any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Lastly, any tips as to how I can route that inset using a router would be helpful also. (I do have a router table.)

Thanks everyone!

Bud

41qzMq4Ta7L.jpg

Hi Bud,
its been a long time since you posted this, sorry for replying to this again, but I am stuck on the same Idea as you, and was wondering if you finished the project or if you want to share some insights with me if the stuff worked as you planned.
Unfortunately I am not a woodworking pro.
: )
Best,
Nate